Frustration

Anna desired a man who would be infatuated with her thoughts and passion while also having an impressionable mind himself. Obviously looks was a factor; dark hair, tall, masculine, the lot. She walked briskly up the stairs of the hospital, her shoes making a slight patter on the marble.
"morning!" Cathy emerged from the adjacent corridor with a sing-song voice.
"Morning Rowan, surprised to see you here on time" Anna chuckled.
"Yeah Lukas didn't keep me up tonight, if you know what I mean" remarked Cathy with a playful nudge.
"Unfortunately I do, I can't believe I took you on as my intern" Anna grimaced.
"he-ey I'm a good intern. I get you all those hot guys and for what? I get no juicy stories in return"
"There'll never be any juicy stories Cath, even if there were I'd keep it to myself" Anna and Cathy parted ways as Anna headed to her office. She peeled her coat and scarf off, blowing a cloud of smoke out of her mouth in the cold room. Fumbling with her gloves and eventually giving up only to use her teeth to pull them off her numb fingers, she reached her free hand up to pull her blinds up revealing the gleaming sun partially blocked by a tower block opposite her office window. As soon as she sat down, a sharp knock on her door startled her.
"Come in" she called, beginning to start working on her somber looking pile of paperwork. A red-headed woman poked her head through the door and smiled at Anna.
"There's my busy bee already starting work at devil o'clock in the morning" she chuckled. Anna giggled and replied "what's up Lor?"
"Well just letting you know your first patient is scheduled at 9:45 today and I also heard Mr Granger will be down here to talk to you" Mr Granger was Anna's senior, a friend of Frank's and somewhat of an uncle figure in her life.
"Do you know what for Lorraine?"
Lorraine, although only a receptionist, had grown fond of Anna, like many of her colleagues despite her short period of employment. She opened the door fully allowing herself in and closed it softly behind her. "oh no, it's not..." Anna thought, her fists tightening anxiously.
"The hospice said now that your dad seems to be entering his.. final stages, they're increasing the rates because he needs more attention" said Lorraine sympathetically. Anna groaned as she listened to her confirm her suspicion on what Mr Granger was paying her a visit about.
"Lorraine I'll manage, they can't increase it by that much can they?"
"You're looking at a couple of grand honey, you know this firm won't pay you much because of your inexperience" she cooed.
"But isn't that bullshit? I work my ass off here and everyone sees that" Anna whined.
"I know honey but you know this is how private hospitals work. It's all about how long you've been in the game for"
"anyway, I'm off, sorry if that started your day off wrong" said Lorraine biting her lip apologetically. Anna waved her hand dismissing it with a meek smile and rested her face in her palms as soon as Lorraine left her office. "I can't believe this." she thought. The bills were slowly but surely piling up on Anna and she was scrambling for solutions that would let her keep her current job. A second job was out of the question and Anna didn't know how to negotiate a pay rise after working at the hospital for less than a year.