Scarlet

I was flipping through a magazine that morning, my husband sitting across from me. The bacon I had cooked was laying out on the table, and I was waiting for my daughter, Sapphire. I then heard footsteps coming down the stairs and prepared for breakfast. I put my magazine away just as she sat down. "How did you sleep honey?" I remember asking. "I slept good, Mom. What about you?" She asked. So I replied and then asked my husband Herb, who was still half-asleep. Most of our mornings were like this. We wake up early, and then get ready to do our chores. We do chores because we live on a farm. This was never my ideal way of living.

You see, after being defeated by the disgusting creatures the "Minions" Herb and I were sent to jail. There we were sent to therapy, seeing I was in a bit of a jumpy state. About 3 weeks before we were going to be let out, Herb and I snuck out to a pub. We might have been drinking too much, because I remember that as the night I became pregnant with Sapphire. We were then caught two days after that, both of us very frazzled and distressed.

The government then added two more weeks onto our sentence. I was infuriated. And to make things more complicated, the nurse at the jail found out I was pregnant. Herb was distraught. He never wanted a child. When Herb and I were finally let out, we were a mess. Pregnant, broke, hungry, and dirty. One fateful day, as I was hiding out in an alley, waiting for Herb to come back, I felt a kick. The baby's first kick! I was overjoyed. Then at that moment, Herb came rushing into the alley, and in his hands was a Sapphire. He said he had stolen it from a jewelry shop down the street. That sapphire would be enough for us to buy a small house and possibly new clothes. I was so happy. I turned to Herb and said "Honey, I just felt the baby's first kick!" I grabbed his hand. "And if it's a girl, I know what we are going to name her." So that is how we got here. After searching long and hard for a home, we found a farmhouse outside of London. Herb worked his magic, so we got it for a lower price. 4 months after that, I had Sapphire. That was one of the happiest days of my life. And Herb. Watching him hold baby Sapphire in his arms, I could see the love for her grow in his eyes. I knew we were going to be a great family.

I love Sapphire, Herb, and the fact hat we are all safe under the same roof. I only wish I could have given Sapphire more of a life. I see her trudge in through the back door, her old overalls covered in mud. She's so humble about it, but I know she wishes her life was different. I do, too.

I might not be able to give Sapphire much, but I can give her, (and Herb as well) the gift of honesty. Sapphire knows all about my past, and she knows not to talk about it. Besides, she doesn't really have anyone to talk about it with. Herb is homeschooling her when I go into the market, so she doesn't really have any friends. Sapphire knows that I will steal from time to time, but she lets it slide. She understands I'm doing it for the sake of the family. And I could never ask for a better child.