10- At Last

Tonks's POV-

I sat curled up on my sofa, a mug clutched in my hands as I listened to the rain. Arthur was recovering well, much to my relief and he'd been able to come home in time for Christmas. I'd taken the kids to see him a couple of weeks before, and since then he'd been on the mend.

My eyes had just started to droop shut when I heard several loud cracks from outside. I jumped to my feet and rushed the window, sending my mug flying but that was the least of my problems. Five death eaters, including my deranged aunt Bellatrix Lestrange, were standing outside my flat, wands held tight in their hands.

I swore loudly and ran back to the sofa to grab my wand. The only way out of my flat that wasn't a five storey drop was my door, which they were outside of.

I quickly conjured up my jack rabbit patronus, constantly checking out of the window.

"Molly," I said quickly, "Death Eaters at my place. If I haven't called back in half an hour, assume I'm dead. Don't reply because they're right outside. Whatever you do, DON'T COME HERE." I sent off the patronus and ran out of the room, letting out an involuntary scream as I heard the door fly off its hinges behind me. My bedroom door was slightly open so I darted in, slamming it behind me. Heavy footsteps were making their way up the corridor towards my hiding spot and my breathing grew even quicker.

After a couple seconds of silence, my bedroom door flew open in a burst of red light. I bit back another scream as Bellatrix walked in, dark eyes manic and crazy.

"What do we have here?" She sneered maliciously in a mock baby voice, "A little blood traitor freak who wants her mummy? There's no way out now."

My eyes darted to the window, but it was closed and locked. There was no way out. Five death eaters were in between me and my only exit.

"I'm not scared." I said as confidently as I could, "You don't scare me."

"Don't I?" She smirked, raising her wand, "Let's see if this changes your mind. Crucio."

The curse hit me square in the chest, tightening my whole body and twisting my insides. My knees smashed to the floor as the pain grew stronger. I bit my lip, determined not to show how much it hurt. Inside, I begged for someone to come, find me and end the pain.

"Is that enough for you yet?" A man I recognised as Dolohov jeered, "We want information. We're patient. We'll wait until you break."

Remus's POV-

"Remus!" I heard Molly yell my name from the kitchen. It was full of panic and worry, "Sirius!"

Me and Padfoot ran to her as quickly as we could after sharing a small glance. She was standing in the kitchen, a large pot smashed on the floor beneath where her hands were. A silvery jack rabbit patronus was prancing on the table. After a couple of seconds, it spoke.

"Molly," I heard Tonks's rushed voice. Merlin she sounded absolutely terrified. My blood went cold as her voice got faster, "Death Eaters at my place. If I haven't called back in half an hour, assume I'm dead. Don't reply because they're right outside. Whatever you do, DON'T COME HERE." The message cut off, but not before I heard her door fly open, Bellatrix's cold laugh and Tonks's scream.

"We need to go after her straight away." I said quietly, frozen to the spot in shock.

"Remus she said..." Sirius started but trailed off under my harsh glare.

"She could die Sirius." Molly snapped, "I'm not waiting around to hear that being covered up."

"Where does she live?" I asked, making my way to the fireplace and grabbing a handful of Floo powder from a pot on the mantelpiece.

"Number 47 Silver Road flats." My best friend replied without hesitation and I repeated, throwing the emerald green powder into the orange flames.

The moment I landed, I heard Tonks's cries, occasionally mixed with screams, sobbing and shouting. I ran through her living room, following as best I could where the sound came from. I had just paused outside of her bedroom, hidden of course, when it went silent.

"Is she dead?" I heard someone ask and I felt like I would pass out. The palms of my hands had a thin coating of sweat and my eyes widened, "Thorffin, check her." Heavy footsteps broke the silence, followed by a loud moan of pain.

"She's alive Miss Lestrange." Someone said, "But only just, if she's going to break before she goes crazy, she'd better do it soon."

"Stupefy!" I yelled, running into the room and aiming the curse as Bellatrix. It had become too much to bear, her soft moans of agony and the triumph in the death eater's voices. She screamed as she flew backwards, smashing into the tall blonde one and knocking the both of them out as they hit the floor, "Petrificus totalus!" Dolohov fell to the floor next, my charm landing square in middle of his face. The other two ran, firing the odd curse over their shoulder.

"Remus?" Tonks's soft whisper snapped me back into reality. She was curled up in a tight ball on the floor, her face full of pain as she tried to look up at me. She looked like a helpless child, crying gently into her carpet, "Remus, make it stop."

"Tonks." I gasped, rushing forwards and trying to pull her to a sitting position. Her head lolled to one side and she cried out in pain as I propped her up from behind, "Hold tight and I'll take you back to Molly."

I scooped her up in my arms, wincing as she cried out. The door was shattered on the floor, leaving the escape open and clear.

"Can you stand up?" I asked her once I reached the fire in the living room. She shook her head slowly, trying to put on a brave face but it was hidden by the tears, "Its okay Tonks," I murmered, "Molly can look after you. It'll all be fine. Stay here for a moment and I can get them." I lay her on the sofa as gently as I could, smoothing out her hair.

I had flooed back to Grimmauld in a matter of seconds, already shouting for Molly at the top of my voice. She hurried into the kitchen, Sirius right behind her.

"Is she alive?" The ginger haired woman asked straight away.

"Just." I nodded grimly, "But probably not for long. I need your help, she's too weak to travel but won't make another half an hour."

"I'm going to her." Sirius said immediately, going to run to the door but being held back by Molly.

"Not yet, I need help to get some potions." She said sternly, "And if its really bad, I may need to fetch Severus."

"No." Sirius snapped, pulling his arm out of her grasp, "She's my baby cousin and I'm not having Snivellus look after her." He had disappeared through the fireplace before we could stop him, leaving me and Molly alone in the cold room.

"Go to them please Remus." Molly sighed exasperatedly, "I'll gather up some potions and be with you as soon as I can." I nodded and headed over to the fireplace as Molly ran from the room.

Tonks was still lying on the sofa, her body limp. Sirius paced alongside her, his knuckles and face deathly white. I knelt down next to her, shocked by how hollow she looked.

"I guess I need you a lot at the moment." She said weakly, a small laugh catching in her throat, "I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't be." I replied softly, "Its not your fault is it. Now sleep a bit, you'll feel better."

"I just wanted to say thanks." She smiled, her head falling backwards as she drifted into an exhausted sleep.

"You like her don't you." Sirius smirked over my shoulder.

"I think so." I replied automatically, "I like her a lot. Every time I see her, everything's alright. She lights up my whole world, she's perfect."

"If you want advice," Sirius started, but he was cut off by me.

"Which I don't want from you."

"I think our Moony," Sirius smiled triumphantly, "Is in lllooovvveee."

"I might be." I sighed, gently stroking her cheek with two fingers, "Merlin, I'm in love."

"So you admit at last." My friend laughed loudly, stepping back, "At last."