Chapter 9

Annie dodged the sword that narrowly missed the back of her leg. She hopped over it and pushed her uncle roughly to the ground.

He sprung back to his feet lithely.

Lucifer leapt forward and thrust his sword millimetres away from his face. But he was too good, and ducked. Lucifer wasn’t focusing, his force field was down, and so he took the opportunity to stab the sword into his nephew’s stomach.

Lucifer fell to the ground gasping for breath. A red spot appeared on the white cotton of his t-shirt. Annie watched with horror as it spread to a patch of red.

She had to fight for him.

She grabbed Lucifer’s sword and held it in her other hand.

For the next minute she fought as aggressively as she could. Kicking and tripping and jumping and slashing and jabbing.

She caught her uncle peering at Lucifer and rammed her sword into him. Knocking him flat, and wounded.

“Your mother,” he wheezed his voice was hoarse and weak, “Your mother was the most . . . beautiful lady and your father . . . had her as bride . . . you look so much like her. . . Lucifer and Annie . . . I was so jealous . . . I’m sorry. . .” his voice faded away and Annie watched as the life left his eyes.

Annie rushed to her brother’s side. Tears leaked from her eyes and trailed down her cheek. A patch of red covered his chest.

He had to be alright. In a few minutes he would have recovered. She focused hard, holding Lucifer’s hand and her locket. She focused hard for him to recover.

Lucifer’s eyes flickered open and he looked at her with no recognition. The irises of his eyes were a blank pale grey. His skin was pallid.

“Lucifer.” Annie said, “It’s me, Annie, I’m your twin sister.”

He blinked and his eyes sparked to life.

“Annie. Is he dead? Did you kill him?”

“Yes Lucifer. Are you okay?”

“Yes. Help me sit up please.”

Annie propped Lucifer up against her. His breathing began to even out.

“Hold the locket to my stomach, where I was stabbed.”

The cut began to heal.

“Thank you so much. We have only two minutes left. Take a locket from him.” He pointed to the corpse of their uncle.

Annie released the clasp on the locket round her dead uncle’s neck. She took it back to Lucifer who told her to smash it and her locket together. She did it immediately.

“Drop them!” Lucifer said as he got up to his feet staggering.

The lockets spat and sizzled in the sand.

“Hold my hands.”He ordered and they stood above the lockets in the sand.

“Life on Hell and Earth is ending, isn’t it?”

BOOM!