Chapter 27

Raj wasn't good at locator spells, but Adrian was. Any misgivings he'd had about returning Adrian's powers were put to rest when the warlock went immediately to work arranging four candles around his spot on the floor. He set one North, South, East, and West.

"Gray wasn't purged?" came Raj's first terrified question the moment Gray disappeared from sight. He'd considered she might have turned herself invisible, but only for a second. Her absence was tangible.

At first Adrian studied the last place she'd stood. "That wasn't a purge. That was an abduction, and a cowardly one at that." Adrian lit the candles and jasmine incense.

Raj set a goblet of water in front of Adrian.

"Let the water show the location of Graylee Perez," Adrian said. "Let the water show the location of Graylee Perez." He repeated this two more times.

The water rippled then smoothed. A house appeared faintly then cleared.

"That's Gray's house," Raj said, heading for the front door.

Adrian was right behind him. They jumped in Raj's car and once more he screeched through the streets. From the corner of his eyes he saw Adrian's set of syringes appear. One by one he injected himself with the remaining colors. "Once we take care of Gray you'll need to get me to my Nan for detox."

Raj flew into Gray's driveway, coming to a skidding halt beside her car. From the street he'd seen the front door open and went racing inside.

Ryan Phillips stood over Gray. She was seated on the floor, trying to get to her feet. Raj started toward Ryan, to deck him, before helping Gray up. When he took his next step, however, she turned and smiled—a grin that stopped him in his tracks.

"You're too late, McKenna. You're too freaking late." Charlene began laughing.

Raj fell to his knees and put his head in his hands.

The laughter abruptly died, as did the self-satisfied smile on Ryan's face, when Adrian walked in. "Oh, it's never too late," he said smoothly. He stared directly at Ryan. "Ryan Phillips." Adrian's lips curled around the last name. "Your father has been a very bad warlock. Like father, like son. Sit down."

It was a toss-up as to whether it was a spell or pure terror that made Ryan take a seat on the couch.

Raj rose slowly. The grief and hatred were equally intense and just about to rip him apart.

Adrian turned to Charlene, who'd now stood. "And you, my dear, are a wicked witch."

"Screw you!"

"I don't think so." Adrian snatched Charlene's wrist and pulled out a dagger.

She screamed as he carved something into her palm and did the same on her second hand. Adrian sliced into his palms and then grasped Charlene's, joining their open wounds.

He began chanting in Latin.

"Stop him!" Charlene shrieked.

Ryan leapt off the couch and jumped onto Adrian's back. Raj sprang to action and tackled Ryan. He had no idea what Adrian was doing, but anything at this point was worth a shot.

Adrian finished his incantation then dropped with a thud to the floor.

Charlene's mouth opened and closed. She held her arms open and examined her body from her chest down then held her palms open in front of her.

"Charlene?" Ryan asked shakily from the floor.

Raj held his breath.

"He cut my freaking hands open!"