"I appreciate the support you've shown her during this difficult time."

"How'd you do it?" Raj didn't mean to be so abrupt, but he couldn't stop himself.

"I contacted the right entity."

"I can't imagine that came cheap."

The headlights from an approaching car lit Mrs. Perez's face momentarily. Raj saw peace in her expression. There wasn't an ounce of shame or guilt in those eyes. And he couldn't blame her.

The vehicle slowed as it approached them. Raj's jaw tightened then slowly relaxed after it passed.

"I gave up all my powers to get her back."

Raj instantly knew he hadn't misheard Mrs. Perez. What struck him wasn't what she'd confessed, but, like her expression a moment earlier, the complete lack of regret in her voice.

Raj stared sideways at her. "Why are you telling me this?"

"I can't protect her, but you can."

"Why would you think that?"

Mrs. Perez smiled. "Because you like her."

Raj shrugged.

Mrs. Perez's grin widened as though she could see right through him even though she was now as powerless as any non-gifted person. "I want to ask a favor of you, Raj. I want you to look out for Gray—protect her. As soon as I get word from my contact I must go. I might not get the opportunity to tell Gray. Do you understand what I'm saying?" Mrs. Perez stopped suddenly and looked at him as though possessed. "I might not be around to watch out for her."

"I understand," Raj said. He turned away, afraid Mrs. Perez would once more use her powers as a loving mother to see he not only understood, he cared more than he wanted to admit. His feelings were a personal matter, not something to be discussed with Gray's mother. Still, he wanted to reassure her. She'd gone to the trouble to come to him for help. Crazier still, she trusted him.

Raj led Mrs. Perez around the block and walked her to her car. Without her powers she suddenly seemed more vulnerable.

As Mrs. Perez fished inside her purse for her key, Raj lifted the locks on her car. She shot him a look that made him feel at once abashed. "Sorry, habit," he mumbled.

As she reached for the handle, Raj called out, "Mrs. Perez."

She waited.

"I'll do everything I can for Gray."

* * *

Gray got up at seven on Saturday. When you knew you wouldn't be around the next day, it was highly motivating to get a crack on the day you did have.

As soon as Gray's feet touched the floor, she snapped her fingers for her worn jeans and favorite T-shirt, but nothing happened. She looked down. Still wearing the negligee. Okay. Gray snapped again for a pair of ripped jeans with fun fabric patches sewn in, but again she stood in the slip.

"Now what the heck?" she said, storming to her room.

Gray threw open her closet door and gasped. Empty.

She ran to her dresser and began opening drawers. Empty. Empty. Empty!

Gray raced back into Charlene's room and practically tore the cover off their communication notebook when she ripped it open.

Charlene had left her a simple message: Maybe it's time you remembered you're supposed to be me and that means dressing and acting appropriately.