Chapter 2: Nerds In Sight

Start from the beginning

Arriving at the station, my parents rushed Johnny and his trunk through Platform 9 and 3/4 leaving me to push my own through the wall. The grand train sat surrounded by families, smoke, and many chittering first years.

"Hey, Davis! Davis Nine!"

I spun on my heel and spotted Zach's shock of blonde hair and frantically waving hands. Ernie was next to him smiling vaguely and Hannah grinning from between the two.

As I made my way over to them, a tall shoulder knocked into my own which sent me spinning around. I dropped my trunk and lost my footing.

"Watch where you're going, Hufflepuff," a voice snarled as I stood up and seized my trunk. It was Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.

"Why don't you?" I snapped back turning away and dragged my luggage towards Zach.

"You fell over," Zach said laughing.

"Was that Malfoy I saw you talking to?" Ernie asked winking suggestively. "I see he somehow got over his slug affliction I expertly hexed him with last year."

That part was true. Ernie, Hannah, Susan Bones , Justin Finch-Fletchley,  Anthony Goldstein, and Terry Boot had swamped Malfoy and his goons with a hilarious mix of jinxes and hexes when they had tried to jump The Chosen One last year. The three Slytherins were left as slugs. I was forever mad I had missed it because I was in the bathroom which is coincidentally where Harry Potter had been heading.

"Are you hurt?" Hannah pressed between the boys and grabbed my shoulders.

"I'm fine, really, he just bumped into me is all. Come on, help me get my luggage on the train before it crushes me," I said after hugging Hannah with my free arm.

Ernie grabbed one end and I pulled hard on the other. Eventually, it was loaded.

"Wait, isn't your brother starting this year?" Hannah asked excitedly.

I grinned. "Yeah, I'm going to go find him and get him a seat before my parents get too emotional and squeeze the kid to death. Save me a seat, will you?"

"Not a chance," said Zach grabbing Ernie and scrambling onto the train.

I huffed and looked over at Hannah.

"Keep an eye on them for me, I'll be back," I said and made my way over to my sobbing mother and stoic father.

Johnny was squished in my mother's arms and looking quite perturbed.

"Make sure he gets a seat, Davis, and that this year is perfect for him and everything goes smoothly," Mum said between hiccups. "Make sure that you're both on the train home for Christmas Break!"

Johnny pulled himself away from Mum and took my hand nervously. I gave it a small squeeze of reassurance before it was my turn to be crushed to death in Mum's arms. Dad smiled, ruffled Johnny's hair, and patted my shoulder.

The train whistle blew loudly signaling the final call for boarding and I tugged Johnny towards it. He hopped on in front of me, letting go of my hand. I followed him on and noticed a compartment full of other nervous first years.

"Hey," I said as I crouched down next to my little brother and pointed over to it. "Try them for a seat."

He nodded slowly and went off. I made sure he was sitting down before making my way down the train hall to find my friends. Just what Mum had wanted.

I heard Zach before I saw him. He was shouting and Ernie was guffawing loudly. Poor Hannah was probably trying to get them to settle down. I opened the compartment door and slid in next to her. Ernie was doubled over near the window, red-faced and dying of laughter. Zach had stopped yelling and was now silently fuming at him.