Chapter 35

An unpleasant surprise

"Why is it that they need me to be twice as strong as normal?" I asked Tom, we were on the way down to the engineering lab for my last set of nanite shots.

He was silent for a moment and then, "it seems you have forgotten the goal of the program I originated from."

I thought for a moment, "wasn't it trying to create a better engineering specialist?"

"That is only part of the whole, the program was designed to create super soldiers, suitably skilled in multiple fields, including engineering." He said this slowly, as though phrasing his sentence as gently as possible.

This was like a smack to the face, no matter how gentle he tried to put it, I wasn't meant to be a simple engineer, I was a freaking weapon.

"Actually, I'm the weapon, you just pull the trigger when ordered." Tom blurted out

I sent him the mental equivalent of a glare as the elevator slowed to a stop and the doors opened, stepping out, I stormed through the massive engineering bay and into the small lab that held the tools that assisted in creating what I was now, a weapon. I looked around and found pix, sitting in front of the computer analyzing data; I walked over and promptly ripped the plug out of the back.

He blinked for a moment and noticed I was there, holding the cord.
"What the hell!" I yelled, "what the hell made you think I would agree to something like that?"

He blinked again, his face seemed composed "what do you..."

I cut him off, "the original goal of The optimum project was to create Supersoldiers, and I'm using a prototype, that means at some point there has to be a field test!"

Terror finally flooded onto his face as understanding dawned on him, "no, Noah, it's... It's not like that."

"Then what the hell is it like?" I roared back, I was becoming hysterical, and Tom told me so.

Pix stumbled for an answer, stuttering over words as he tried to formulate a lie.
I sighed, "screw it," I said it quietly, emotionally defeated.

I stopped before the door, "you know," I said quietly, "I actually thought you were pretty cool," I sighed again, "guess it all depends on the angle, huh?"

I turned and walked out, out into the empty engineering bay... Wait a minute... The engineering bay was never, never, empty. Whipped around towards the elevators, the doors closing as spacial seals spread out in combat formation.