Chapter Fourteen- Sprouting Feelings and a Personal Mission

Start from the beginning

"Eric, what's YOUR reason why you want me to join this campaign?"

He shook his head, "It's not important."

"Well, it is to me. Remember yesterday when you said that you would give me anything I wanted if I kept our couple facade?"

He nodded.

"I want you to tell me, Eric."

His jaw tightened. There was something to this plan he wasn't telling me, and I wanted to find out.

"If I tell, you have to ensure that you will absolutely think about this."

I sighed. If this was the only way for me to find out, then I'll agree.

"Okay, Eric."

He took a deep breath releasing his hold from me and sitting at the other end of the couch.

"Once everything was set in stone, all of the Dauntless and Erudite officials who were not under simulation would be transported to a safehouse far in the Erudite compound. There we would live in hiding until Erudite was passed on the role of taking over the government, and go back to our normal lives. I wanted you to be with me when this was all over."

They plan on being behind closed doors when this was all taking place? Shows how confident they are in this plan.

"You still haven't answered my question," I said.

He got up, speaking in an angry tone, "What else do you want me to say?! Didn't the last sentence infer it!?"

"Say it, Eric," I commanded, wanting to hear it to conclude my assumption.

"I...," he said in a whisper, "I like you. I like you a lot. I don't know why, but I do."

I breathed deeply. A sprouting feeling came from the pit of my stomach. It explained the facade from last night. He wanted to make it seem like he was with me. I stood up and walked over to his stiff figure, raising his head to look at me.

"If I go through with this plan, then I don't want to be in a relationship in case something happens to one of us. It's not that I don't like you, because I know that I have some feeling for you. It's just in case one of us falls in the end. I want to be together when we are out of this mess and able to live. However, in our own privacy, we can act however we want to. Can we agree on that?"

A deep breath escaped his lips.

"Okay," was all he said before planting his soft lips on mine, embracing me in a slow kiss.

I smiled, breaking the kiss and reach over to get my jacket, "Now, we have to keep this private. No one can know, especially Lucas."

His eyebrows furrowed, "Why 'especially' him?"

"Before we came here, Lucas had told me his feelings he had for me. However, I told him I didn't want to be in a relationship with him since he was my partner, and I was afraid our fate would end up the same way as Eros's. Plus, I didn't tell him that I didn't have any feelings for him in that sense. From that point on, he's acted somewhat possessive towards me when other men in the Corps would speak to me about missions. So, if he finds out that we have a thing, than he will not hesitate to hurt you."

Eric huffed, "I could take him. Special Ops or not."

I shook my head, "You and your pride."

He smiled, "You enjoy it."

"Shh. Anyway, we better get to the simulations or else Four will ring our necks."

"I'm the leader, he can't do anything to me."

"Okay, then my neck," I said, opening the door to his apartment.

"I don't think Four would do that to you. And besides, I wouldn't let that happen," Eric said, following behind me.

I smiled, "Should I believe you?"

Eric shrugged, "That's up to you."

As we walked, we saw Max exit his apartment. He noticed us right away.

"Good morning."

Eric nodded, "Morning Max. How is everything coming along with the plan?"

"I received a call from Jeanine this morning. She said that she will have some progress reports for me later in the evening. Have you and Adelaide talked?"

"Yes, and she says that she wants more time to think about it, but is strongly considering."

Max nodded and smiled at me, "I hope you choose to join us on our conquest."

I nodded, "I am strongly considering ."

"That's good. While I'm here I need to speak with you about a mission," he said, walking along with us.

"Go on."

"We have a list of people that we have suspected to be Divergents. One of them being Beatrice Prior, and another being your colleague, Four."

I was shocked. Four? and Tris?

"I need you to run Tris's simulation today and be on the lookout for her time. Divergents tend to go through them quickly and develop interesting ways to face them. Also, since you seem to be starting to get relatively close to Four, I need you to dig up anything that might make our case against him greater and stronger. Now, you may wonder how are you going to do that."

I nodded.

"From what I have seen, it looks like Four has taken an interest in you. A love interest. I suggest that you become more than a friend, and gain his trust."

My breath hitched. I can't do that to my friend. And I most certainly can't do that to Eric.

"Sir, I don-"

"This is a priority and an order, Adelaide. It is not a suggestion. You are either in or out. I will give you until the end of lunch to think about the mission and to give me your final answer. If you have any more questions ask Eric. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to make sure I meet the Erudite officials to get the records."

Max departed down a different hallway filled with apartment doors. I looked at Eric.

"Did you know about this?"

He shook his head and spoke through gritted teeth, "No."

I huffed, "I can't do it."

Eric stopped in front of me and grabbed my shoulders, "You have to, Adelaide. It's either you join and do the mission, or don't and be blamed for killing Abnegation."

"Either way I will be blamed."

Eric breathed out heavily, "Look, just do the mission."

I whispered, "You won't be mad?"

He shook his head, "Since it's an order from an authoritative figure, I cannot go against it."

I wiped my eyes out of frustration, "Just let me think about it okay?"

He nodded, letting go of my shoulders and walking in front of me, not looking back.