"Um..." I kick the door so it's fully open, "I think I beat you here."

I hear him sigh into the phone, "Typical."

The line goes dead.

Damon and I were best friends back in the 1920's after he and I spontaneous met on a drunken night out. We were strangers then, until he accidentally revealed his supernatural status in his intoxicated state. Only a few hours after that, we woke with my head on his stomach and a bottle in his hand in a random bar just inside of the Chicago city boundary line.

The days after that were filled with Damon following me around to make sure I wouldn't spill his secret. It was unnecessary though, because telling his meant exposing my own. After a few days of unconvincing pleading, I told him about me being an immortal witch, which helped him see that I would always keep his bloody secret. From that point on, we were hip and hip until I was forced to leave him.

Stefan's apartment is full of dust and cobwebs. It holds its own empty aura, proving that it has been vacant for years, no doubt. I print my initials in the dust of the table and then run my fingers through it to hide the message.

There is no way of knowing how I knew to come to Chicago and to the exact place Damon is going to meet me. It's how my magic has worked for as long as I can remember. I don't have much control over a lot of the power, but it seems to enjoy controlling me.

Low chatter outside the door stops me in my tracks. I hold my hand up and watch as the tiny button on the knob switches and clicks so any human outside is locked out. Now a vampire, on the other hand, probably wouldn't even bother with the doorknob.

There's a cracking sound and a thud. I keep my hand steady, ready for any spell that needs to be used against an attacker. My actions stop, though, when Damon himself pushes open the wooden door. He drops the doorknob to the ground, unconsciously proving a point.

His face is blank for a second, but quickly turns to a smile as he walks forward and embraces me in a hug. It only lasts a few seconds before I pull away to stare at the girl behind him.

"Wow," I mutter, "You are a mirror image of Katerina Petrova."

"But I am definitely not." She quickly says.

Damon turns back to the doppelgänger, gesturing to her with his open hand and throwing his free arm over my shoulders.

"Clara, this is Elena Gilbert." Damon introduces us, "Clara is my best friend from the twenties. Kind of like Lexi for Stefan, but not dead and one hundred times more badass."

He smirks at his joke, but Elena doesn't look amused to the slightest. I act like I don't notice, but the expression she holds bothers me.

"So, this is Stefan's old apartment, huh?" I finally ask, "How come I never knew about this place?"

Damon smirks, dropping his arm from around my shoulder to move further back into the small apartment space. I can feel Elena's eyes glued to my back, but I try not to react.

"Because, it's way more than just an empty apartment."

Elena carefully walks past me, as if going anywhere near me could cause her any harm. Her resemblance to Katerina, or Katherine now, is uncanny, but there's a huge difference between the two: Katherine radiates confidence. I can tell by the way Elena acts around Damon that she's used to being protected.

Damon pushes a shelf panel stationed next to the refrigerator. We watch as he puts his hands at the edge of it and pulls until it swings open with a cloud of dust. Behind it is a hidden pitch-black room.