Chapter 22: An 'A' and an 'X'

Start from the beginning

"I apologize for this announcement, knowing this may be an odd time for us to do this," Maybelle continues when silence enveloped the building, her voice recognizable, but screechy being on the system. "But, I have a very special guest here that I would like to talk to the Junior and Senior students before he leaves. Think of it as a last minute assembly. Teachers of juniors and seniors would you please accommodate this by escorting everyone that is within your classrooms at this moment towards the gym at the sound of the bell. Students, I know that it's Friday and all, but I'm sure this presentation will be very educational, and beneficial for some of you. It will not take over an hour, please don't be difficult and cause unfortunate situations to occur."

In other words, behave yourselves, and keep your mouth shut or get detention for the rest of the month or worst suspension.

"Thank you." She finished, as the speakers became silent.

The classroom filled with a raging tension at that as I held in the urge to laugh. Leave it up to her to cause something like this to occur at the most random time possible, way to go Maybelle. The bell rang at that time, making everyone groan in complaint about how their Friday was ruined by getting an additional hour at school.

"Alright you guys." Mrs. Pastillo sighs, obviously feeling as annoyed as her students about this last minute idiocy. "Start making your way towards the gym, I trust all of you will go straight there and don't need me to accompany you like a group of preschoolers right? And.. just to give you some motivation, there will probably be an attendance check so I repeat. Go. Straight. There."

A few students muttered a silent 'yes mam' as others huffed in obvious irritation before walking through the door. I quickly packed my supplies within my backpack before hauling it over my shoulder, slowly making my way towards the exit.

"Excuse me Mrs. Pastillo." I hear Nolan's voice, choppy from just waking up as I glanced over my shoulder to see what he was up to just before I left "Can you please check my paper first? I want to get this over with."

Whoa, back up, rewind and pause. Sleeping beauty over there did something on the test?

"Hey are you going to move anytime soon today queer?" a guy hisses behind me as I realized I had been blocking the doorway. I turned, glaring at him looking down at me in a disgusted manner before placing a sarcastic smile on my face. You'd think that after so long people would learn to just leave me the hell alone if they didn't want a scene. Three years kids. Three years.

"I was about to, but could you say that a little louder dear? I don't think Mrs. Pastillo heard you." I say innocently turning towards my teacher, who looked in our direction after hearing her name being called. "Did you miss?"

"What was that Mr. Summers?"

"He said nothing Miss!" the idiot rambled quickly.

"Alright Mr. Robinson." She shrugged off, turning back to Nolan as she searched through her papers. The idiot glared once more in my direction in complete loathing. I gave a plastic smile in response, and watched gladly as his face heated red in embarrassment.

"Are you angry or just blushing?" I winked, watching as his cheeks turned a darker shade. Yep. Closet case.

"Pervert." The guy whispers, keeping his face down before pushing his way out pass my shoulder as I stood in the doorway a little off balanced by what he said.I haven't been called that since... nope, no Carter don't go there. Like Taylor Swift once said, Shake it off. I do not need that emotion crawling in my system right now, not now.

"Hey Summer."

I rolled my eyes, taking the stupid grin that made its way on my face when he called me that straight off, as I turned to meet Nolan's smug look.