The Flutter

"Listen, it really isn't a big deal," I interjected. "I can take care of myself," wincing due to that coming out harsher than I meant it to. I was already an unregistered living in what was still technically city limits, I did not need to give him another reason to arrest me now.

"Oh I am sure you can judging by that nice sling," he replied smugly, brushing off my rudeness as if he never noticed it at all. I tightened my face in annoyance, pursing my lips ever so slightly, I was trying desperately to think of something to say in order to prove my case but nothing. I guess he was right though, as I got older, living like this was getting harder. Or maybe, that wasn't it at all, I was just more aware of how hard this life that my frisky parents gave to me was.

"Pros and Cons to every lifestyle. It's up to you on what sounds more glamorous. Live in the woods and get hurt sometimes or be under constant surveillance and probably die prematurely anyways. I choose woods." I knew deep down I shouldn't trust Trent but I couldn't help it. It had to have been his charm. That's the only reason I was so blinded when he was around. And I definitely did not like him. In any way. How could I? He supported this dumb, stupid, idiotic, corrupt government.

"Ya... I don't think it was you who chose that but whatever you say.... Althea? Are you okay?" Trent asked. I must've, for once, had my emotions plastered on my face because he looked at me with a deep concern that I've only seen on one other person's face. My mother. His shockingly light amber eyes made steady eye contact with my grey ones. It nearly took my breath away, how much I could tell he cared deeply about me and how I mattered to him. It was as if his eyes gave everything away. As guards, you have to be reserved and strong but in those eyes he was a young, gentle man. The kind of man that saw good where others didn't and always tried to do what was right. In my opinion, it was the best form of idiocy a person could be. No wonder he chose to be a guard because in his eyes, this job he was doing was good. A small smile formed across my normally hard face.

"You know, I'm not. Okay that is. But, I think I'm starting to be." I smiled a little bigger and he mimicked. Man, what a gorgeous smile. I couldn't get over it. And those soft, pinkish lips that structured that beautiful smile. Woah. What was happening to me? I felt this odd pressure in my chest, kind of like a fluttering feeling. It was so unusual. I had never felt anything like it before. I couldn't tell if I enjoyed the sensation or not. Or even if it was a good or bad thing. All I knew was that is was strange. Maybe I was sick and was dying. Just wonderful, I thought to myself. Now that my life is starting to not suck, I am going to die. Just flipping fantastic. Realising I had zoned out, I came back to the present to notice we were still making steady eye contact. And can I tell you, now that I wasn't distracted by my runaway thoughts, it was awkward. Really awkward. At the same time though, it was kind of cute in the oddest way. I was silently hoping his mind was somewhere else like mine was just a minute ago. Maybe he was thinking about that strange pounding in my chest that was still there. Then, his eyebrows creased into the center of his face as if he was trying to remember something. He must've because his face lit up with recognition.

"Althea," he pronounced smoothly as my heart did another flip. I just wanted to tell it to shut up. "I've only ever seen such brilliant eyes like yours one other time. I mean, I've seen grey eyes before but never any so light. Yours practically shine in the sun." Heat rushed to my face. How intense must he have been looking at my eyes? "My supervisor. His name is Tac. Super independent, kind of like you actually. But he's also super harsh especially on the newer guys. He's a big deal actually. The head Guard. Essentially, if he had a super big grudge he could imprison you just because of that. He's a little scary," Trent chuckled to himself, "but I'm pretty sure he's a decent guy."

"Cool." I replied distantly. I hadn't really been paying attention, I was too distracted on myself. Yes, yes I know. I'm a little self-centered but I've been the only person I've had to worry about for a long time.