4

Bucky dropped his arm. The words slipping out of his mouth like water. "Steven Grant Rogers"

"James Buchanan Barnes" Steve nodded, coming out of his shock as Bucky fell into his. Bucky stared at the shop owner for a moment. He compared every part of the man before him to the friend he left behind. Almost everything fit except for the different body shape. The Steve he knew was skinny, boney, barely had enough muscle on him to keep him standing. This Steve had the same face but he was more muscular and had a bit of triangle shape to his body.

"I thought you were smaller." Bucky couldn't help the words that came out, it seemed to be a natural reaction around Steve. Sassing him, despite the odds of the situation.

"I was, but then I didn't have you around to stop me from getting into fights." Steve stared down at the table. "One of my professors taught me how to fight back in college." Steve let out a small chuckle.

"Didn't you want to become a lawyer?" Bucky asked, glad that the tension was lowly fading. "Why are you running a coffee shop?"

"I didn't like the feel of it. They had me defending people who were criminals, how does that help bring justice to the world?" Steve shrugged. "I moved to the business school and when I graduated opened up this place."

"Sounds like fun" Bucky gestured towards the sketchbook, a small smirk on his face, "I see you still draw all the time."

"I see you still write all the time." Steve replied. His hand slowly pulled the book of the table and into his lap.

"Guess that part of me hasn't really changed." Chuckling, Bucky picked up the glass and drank quietly.

"Your hair did." Not expecting the quiet comment, Bucky almost spit out the water. They both laughed quietly at the words and the reaction.

"I wasn't overly fond of the army hair cut." He barely choked out the words as he set the glass back down, laughter still trying to slip up his throat. He reached a hand up to push a strand of hair out his face.

"Apparently so."

Around the room, people began to sing "Happy Birthday" to Mr.Phillips. Chloe was holding a freshly made tiramisu cake with a candle in it, as she walked through the group. Steve and Bucky's conversation fell into a lull as they watched the old man blow out the candle and smile happily at the people around him.

"Its strange though. You said the exact same thing to me back then."

"Hmm?"Bucky looked back at Steve. He was staring at the partiers fondly.

"When I came out back in highschool, and when I told you again today. You said the exact same thing."

"I did, didn't I?" Bucky chuckled. "Who was it anyway?"

Steve glanced at Bucky, smile gone, confusion evident. "Who was what?"

"The one that struck your fancy. Pushed you out of the closet." Bucky slowly watched as Steve's face morphed from confusion to shock and then nothing. His face went blank, a stony expression masking it all.

"I don't remember."Steve looked down at his hands, fiddling with the pencil.

"Aw, c'mon. Earlier, you were blushing like a child witnessing people kissing." Bucky chuckled again.

"I was not, you were seeing things again."

"Was not."

"Was too."

"Was not."

"Was too."

"Was not."

"It was you."

"Was no-, what?"