3

Years ago, before Bucky lost an arm, he lost a friend. A really great friend.

He wasn't much to look at, a small scrawny guy with large glasses that made his face too small and his eyes too big. But that wasn't why Bucky stuck around him.

He had a spirit. He never went down without a fight, no matter how big and ugly his bullies were. In fact, that's how Bucky found him. Bloody and bruised, fists up and shaky legs, he was smirking back at Johann Schmidt, foreign exchange student from Germany.

Bucky had just been passing by the alley where the little guy was losing, and decided to step in.Bucky punched Schmidt in the face and the fight was over before it started. The little guy , as he did to all those who tried to help him, brushed Bucky off and told him he could fight his own fights. In reply, Bucky called him a punk and he called Bucky a jerk.

It was the start of a beautiful friendship. Bucky found his friend's reactions to help and girls amusing and his friend found that it wasn't that awful to have someone bigger around. The two always manage to fall into an easy banter and became very close.

Then came senior year of high school. They had applied to the same colleges, fitting since they had the same GPA and similar testing scores. But the schools were harsher on Bucky than his friend, all but one unaccepted him.

Bucky found it difficult to tell his friend that so kept quiet till Graduation day. Once his friend knew, a fight ensued and they parted ways. Bucky never expected to find his friend again.

Guess some expectations don't always play out the way we want them....