Part 5: Winter Days

The next day, Nina woke up to the smell of pancakes cooking downstairs. It was Friday, and there were no gymnastics classes. Nina wasn't surprised to learn that school had been cancelled, as there was well over a foot of snow outside. The gray winter sky was still dumping elaborate snowflakes onto the winter wonderland. Icicles had formed all along the house, and the cold, fierce wind whistled menacingly through the trees.
Nina raced downstairs, her messy hair flying behind her as she galloped down the stairs. After hurriedly eating her pancake breakfast, She grabbed Naia and her snow gear and headed out into the snow for some fun.
Nina and Naia headed out into the woods near their house and walked until they found an adequate sledding hill. After about twenty minutes of sledding, the sisters tromped back up the hill and began to make a snowman.

About two hours later, Naia and Nina burst through the door, covered in frosty white sprinklings of snow. Kestrel brought them hot chocolate and helped them get out of their snow clothes and into comfier outfits. Next, Kestrel popped a movie into the TV and set up lots of blankets and pillows on the couch. Naia and Nina cuddled up with the pillows and blankets and happily munched on the snack tray that their mother had prepared for them. "What a perfect snow day!" Nina thought joyfully, taking a sip of her hot coco and grabbing a marshmallow.

A while later, Nina was sitting on the couch eating a bag of sea salt and vinegar potato chips and watching TV. Naia was plopped down next to her, munching on dried apples and french fries. A significant amount of time had passed, and regionals were exactly nine days away. It was Thursday, and still a winter wonderland outside. Baby Boola was swaddled in layers of clothing and blankets, and Kestrel was constantly adjusting the thermostat. Lina was always playing "spy" by herself and spying on her family. Rob, the father of the girls, had returned from his business trip and spent his time cooking, a hobby he enjoyed. Lina enjoyed spying on him to find out what the family would be eating for dinner that night. Time passed slowly as hour after hour went by.