Part 3: Ice, Ice Nina

One month later, Nina was sitting in the Glass Cape Gymnastics Academy, watching Alonna, Clara, Arden, Tori and Estelle. Her arm was still in the hot pink cast, except the hot pink had slightly faded, and some of the signatures had smeared or rubbed off. Nina watched Naia and Lina tumbling with the other little girls from their class.
"Maybe one day they'll be as good as me." she said quietly.
"I bet!" Kestrel said, grinning.
Nina hated to admit that she didn't want her sisters to be better than her at gymnastics. Gymnastics was her thing, after all.
Clara waved to Nina, breaking her chain of thought. Clara had grown almost an inch, and she was currently outfitted in Yellow shorts and a purple leotard. Nina was dressed in too-small jeans and a white shirt that had a picture of a zebra on it. Her coat was turquoise.
"Hey Nina!" Clara called. "When are you getting back?"
"Next month!" Nina shouted excitedly. Her face glowed like the sun, her cheeks blushed like roses.
"Holy guacamole.... You're gonna compete in regionals with us!" Clara screamed after a second.
Tori and Estelle walked over. "What was that all about?" Tori asked Clara.
"Nina's gonna compete in regionals, guys!" Clara exclaimed.
"Seriously?" Tori and Estelle chimed in unison.
"She speaks the truth!" responded Nina.
"Oh my god, that's amazing!" Tori beamed.
"Tori, I told you so say gosh, not god!" Estelle said in an exasperated tone.
"Oh yeah." Tori regretted.
"Anyway..." Clara said, keeping the conversation on track, "You'll gonna do great at the competition, Nina-bo-bina. Hang in there!"
"Thanks!" Nina said, waving as her friends walked away.
Just then, Naia and Lina walked over to the bleachers where Kestral, Boola and Nina were sitting.
"Mommy, class done!" Lina said, her four-year-old face glowing with a big smile.
"Mamma, guess who got their cartwheel!" Naia grinned.
"I was watching your class." Kestral replied. "You both did very well. Now come on, time to go home!"
Nina helped Naia put on her pink snow jacket, slipping it over her little light pink leotard. Lina was outfitted in a polka-dotted leotard and blue leggings. Nina herself was wearing black leggings and a buttoned checkered-plaid shirt. The family walked over to the Glass Cape Gymnastics Academy doors and pushed them open, heading out into the frozen winter wonderland. Kestral unlocked the car and opened the door - or at least tried to. It was frozen shut.
"Mama, the door won't budge!" Lina complained. "Mama, I'm fweezing!"
"I know, kiddo." Kestrel said, attempting to break past the ice that had formed around the car door.
"Mom, is the door totally frozen?" Nina asked.
"Looks like it." Kestrel said. "Girls, can you run into the gymnastics academy and grab a few cups of warm water please?"
"Yeah." Said Nina confidently. "Come on, guys!" she motioned for Naia and Lina to follow.
Once inside the academy, Nina dashed to the bathroom and filled a disposable paper cup from the paper cup dispenser with hot water from the sink. Naia and Lina followed her example, trying not to spill the water as they walked.
When the girls reached the car, Kestral took their water cups and dumped them on the frozen door. Kestrel then handed Boola to Nina and began pulling the door as hard as she could. It still would not move.
"Girls, if worst comes to worst we might need to get a ride home with one of your friends." Kestrel told them anxiously.
"Can't you just call dad?" Nina questioned.
"He left for that meeting in Florida today." Kestrel replied. "It would only worry him if I called him now."
"Can't we just like, ask for help or something?" Nina asked her mom.

The family made their way back into the building. Kestrel approached Arden's mom.
"Hey Joanne!" Kestrel exclaimed, walking towards her.
"Kestrel!" Joanne smiled. "What's up?"
"Our car door is frozen shut." Kestrel told her. "Could you help us out?"
"Sure thing." Joanne replied.
Joanne followed the girls out to the car. She helped Kestrel melt the ice with warm water and pry the door open. Then she put Boola in her carseat and buckled up Naia and Lina. Nina plopped down in the backseat next to Boola and buckled in. Kestral thanked Joanne and the girls were on their way home.