Chapter Fifty-Five - Additions

Start from the beginning

'I shall take good care of him, Mother,' promised Isabel, sensing Mrs Thornton's reluctance to leave.

'John said that you might visit with the babe, at Hayleigh, so that you have company?' Isabel smiled, for she knew her husband to have made the suggestion for the sake of his mother, and not his wife.

'Indeed. I shall just arrive, without giving Fanny the opportunity to turn me away.' Mrs Thornton drew in a long, deep breath, looking wistfully at her grandson, before saying primly, –

'I shall see you to-morrow, then,' her silent request that Isabel would come to Hayleigh, and with haste, for she had seen and held little Johnny, daily, and had no wish to break the habit now.

'Yes, Mother.' And pressing a grateful kiss to Mrs Thornton's cheek (knowing that the matriarch would claim it unwelcome, but would appreciate the gesture, privately), Isabel said, 'We shall come, and often, for we both have need of you.' Now she picked up her swaddled babe, and carried him from the room, as Mrs Thornton put on her coat and bonnet and made towards the carriage.

'Come, Johnny, we must see Grandmamma off, for she goes to stay with Aunt Fanny, so that you might have a niece or nephew. You shall miss her if you do not say goodbye.' Mrs Thornton bit back a smile, which was quickly killed, upon seeing Layton smiling warmly at Isabel and little Johnny. She turned to him and scowled.

'It is cold, Layton. Do not dally; my grandson shall catch a chill if you should linger.'

'Yes, Mistress,' replied he, hurrying to his place, and the carriage took off; Mrs Thornton glancing backwards at young mother and son. She tried to muster some excitement as she drew ever closer to Hayleigh, for soon she would have another grandchild, in the form of Fanny's babe but her heart was full of little Johnny, and the babe she had yet to meet, could be no competition.

Isabel had schooled her features and kept her voice bright, when saying farewell to Mrs Thornton. She had assured husband and mother that all would be well, but inwardly, she doubted that she would manage. She did not doubt her abilities to see to Johnny's needs, but she doubted that she was equipped to sit with him, alone; hour after hour. Isabel had seldom been alone with her son – always was Mrs Thornton about – and so there had been another in the room, who might dote, whilst pretending not to coddle. Now that lot fell to Isabel, and she feared she did not have the inclination to shower upon her son, the love which he deserved.

It was true – as Mr Thornton had assured his mother – that Isabel did not leave her son to cry quite so endlessly as she had done, previously, and she now took comfort in holding the babe in her arms, but she did feel as though she had to force herself to feel that maternal pang of longing, and feared her son would know of it, without his doting grandmother to act as a distraction.

Determined to overcome her reserve, she bid young William Harris to Crampton, with a note for Margaret, and instructing him to await a reply, Isabel set about dressing Johnny for his first trip into Milton, proper. The note was returned in the affirmative, just as Layton arrived from taking Mrs Thornton to Hayleigh, so Isabel bid him to keep the horses harnessed, and handed him her babe, so that she might climb into the carriage.

Mr Thornton saw – from his office window – Layton holding Johnny, and he felt such a lash of jealousy – that man, who coveted his wife, and now holding his son! – that he fairly forgot to question what Isabel might be about, and strode directly into the yard.

'Layton,' said he, now holding out his arms, heedless of being watched by the workers in the yard. Layton readily passed the babe to his father, and settled himself upon his seat, rightly assuming that Mr Thornton meant to hand the babe to his wife and see her off.