Chapter Fifty-Five - Additions

Some fortnight later, Mr Thornton came down to an early breakfast – having seen to his son's underclothes, and settled him with his wife for nursing – and found his mother eagerly awaiting his arrival at the table. He felt her eyes watching him as he filled his plate with foodstuffs, and once seated, he looked pointedly to her, and said, –

'A good night, Mother. Johnny only awoke for nursing the one time.' Mrs Thornton smiled in triumph, proud of her grandson's hearty constitution and robust appetite, for the boy grew well, and was sure to be quite the little man before long.

'And Isabel?' asked Mrs Thornton, hopefully.

'You know Isabel means not to coddle him at night, Mother. She wishes him to settle himself if he should awake, and I think it quite right. I do not mean to pamper the lad when I am in need of sleep.' Mrs Thornton grumbled, for she thought the babe old enough to be moved to the nursery, and had asked almost daily, when Isabel would see fit to employ a nurse for the child.

'I go to Hayleigh to-day.'

'I recall, Mother,' replied he, in a sympathetic tone. Indeed, he knew his sister had need of his Mother, but Fanny would be trying, and Mrs Thornton could not tolerate her daughter's solitary company for any extended period of time. He knew, too, that his mother would miss her grandson, greatly; so involved had she been, in seeing to his care in those first six weeks. 'Let us hope the babe comes soon, and that you may not be kept long at Hayleigh,' said Mr Thornton.

'Harrumph!' frowned Mrs Thornton. 'If the babe would come early, Fanny would no doubt claim it small, and have need of me for longer. No, I put her off for a fortnight, and now I must go.' Mr Thornton nodded, and turned to his breakfast, but was interrupted by his mother's wary tone. 'And you are certain that Isabel shall manage on her own? If you will not have a nurse to assist her whilst I'm gone – and I'm not wholly sure we would want another person knowing of her peculiarities – cannot she send for Margaret? She is very fond of Johnny, and would no doubt gladly come?' Mr Thornton was vexed by his mother's continual allusions to his wife's habits in mothering their son, for he felt she had made great improvement in the past fortnight.

'Mother, Isabel shall do well. She is more than capable, but only has differing opinions to you, as to how to raise our son.'

'Differing!' cried she. 'I've never coddled you, but nor did I leave you to wail incessantly.'

'And Isabel does not. She soothes him far more, of late, and I have seen his crib is always beside her, rather than you, when I return home for my meals.' Mrs Thornton pressed her lips into a firm line.

'Yes, there has been some improvement,' ceded she. But still, she thought it strange that such a recent mother, should wish to do her husband's ledgers, and busy herself with the ordering of new supplies for the infirmary, when she might very well make visits with her son, or make an effort with his clothing. Now Mr Thornton rose from his chair, and came to stand beside his mother, placing one hand upon her shoulder.

'Do not worry for Johnny, Mother. Nor my Isabel, either. I shall care for both of them in your absence.'

'But you have the mill, John!'

'Nay, I am all caught up since Le Havre, and business it not so trying. I might ask – if Fanny does not mind it – that Isabel comes to you at Hayleigh. She will be lonely without you here.'

'Of course,' replied his mother, brightening, for the promise of seeing her grandson during Fanny's confinement, could do nothing but lift her spirits.

Still, she was loath to leave the little babe, and with a grim face, she held him to her for a tender moment, before affecting an attitude of indifference, and setting him back in his crib.