Chapter Twenty-Six - A Way Out and a Way Through

The following day, Margaret suggested that she and her father walk over to Princeton and visit with Nicholas Higgins. Father and daughter had not been out together since Mrs Hale's seizures had caught up with her, on the evening of the Thornton's dinner. Margaret thought the walk – and the company – would do her father good. Isabel endorsed the idea, believing that Mr Hale's inertia and weakness of mind could be staved off with exercise and a ready occupation. Indeed, she was hopeful that he would grace the pages of Milton far longer than Gaskell had ordained, now that she had secured from Mr Thornton, an indication that he would not neglect his visits to Mr Hale.

She had never truly believed it possible for a person to die of a broken heart – at least, not in the metaphorical sense, for certainly heart disease was fatal – but in the pages of Milton, she had always supposed a certain lack of will or interest to go on living, after the death of Mrs Hale. That Mr Hale should grieve was only natural, but he was not an elderly man, and had never appeared sickly, and so Isabel thought to prolong his life by fending off his depression, through ensuring he immersed himself in that bustling Milton life he had so come to admire. Still, for all the good the visit with Higgins would do both father and daughter, Isabel knew that it would be a sorrowful one, full of new angst and suffering. And so it was, that although she had never formed the close friendship with Nicholas Higgins that Margaret had, she invited herself along.

And Mr Hale did appear brighter in his countenance, as he walked through the crowded streets of Milton; one young lady upon each arm. He did not have the ease of manner which Isabel had first recognised in him, but he offered conversation, citing his interest in the book Mr Thornton had given to him the evening before. He even took an interest in Mr Thornton's plans for the Mill infirmary, and Margaret – whose Christian and philanthropic sensibilities were flattered by such a worthy scheme – actively encouraged her father in this new interest.

'Perhaps we ought to ask Mr Thornton if we can set up a school, Papa?' enthused Margaret. 'I could teach the little ones, and you could teach the men?' Isabel grimaced, for although she had explained to Margaret, Mr Thornton's business justifications for the infirmary, she knew her friend saw only the humanitarian advantage, and thus, could not see why one endeavour should not naturally lead on to another.

'I think we ought to leave Mr Thornton to determine how to spend his own money, Margaret,' warned Mr Hale gently, for he had listened to Mr Thornton's reasoning for the infirmary, and although he would have liked his friend to have spoken with more charity of spirit, he could see that where the working poor would gain from such a scheme, so too, would Marlborough Mills. He was less certain, however, how lecturing on ecclesiastical architecture could increase his friend's profits in the cotton trade.

And so the party of three arrived in Francis Street in higher spirts than they had been of late; Mr Thornton's pockets still intact. Nicholas Higgins was sat in his favoured chair beside the fire, but did not have about him his accustomed pipe. Isabel thought it likely that he could no longer afford the luxury, but spoke nothing of her suspicions, instead allowing Margaret to make her merry greeting.

'We came later in the day, thinking we had a better chance of finding you in after dinner-time,' said Margaret, as she seated herself at Nicholas Higgins's bidding.

'Appen yo'll find me 'ere whenever yo' should call,' replied the gruff man. His face was thick with several days' worth of black stubble, and he looked scruffy in clothes which were sorely in need of darning.

'You are out of work?' frowned Margaret, with concern.

'Ay, but my Bessy was puttin' money under her pillow an' my Mary is set abou' faustian cutting; I'm no' wanting brass!' replied Higgins, warningly. 'Still, I'm out o' work all th' same.'