Chapter Thirteen- Disagreements and Unwanted Encounters

Start from the beginning

Eric's expression immediately went softer when he saw me in the doorway. I didn't know what that meant, but I took it as a not so good expression.

"You look..." Eric started, "stunning."

A bright smile took over my face, "Thank you. You look dashing. I think this style suits you."

A light pink dusted over his cheeks, leaving me to believe that I had just made the coldest man in this faction blush.

He, however, shook it off right away and looked back to Lucas, "She will be home around eleven o'clock at night. However, I cannot guarantee that she will be home by then."

Lucas nodded, "Just make sure it isn't too late. She has to help with the simulations tomorrow morning."

Eric snorted, "Okay, dad."

Lucas huffed at Eric's comment. What was going on between them?

Eric then looked at me and held his arm out, "Shall we?"

I nodded, hooking my arm with his and saying goodbye to Lucas before closing the door.

"Now, I must warn you," Eric started as he guided me down countless hallways and doors. "Jeanine is not necessarily the one to accept what other people think about her plans. So, I suggest if you have some sort of concern, you wait until we come back here and either discuss it with me or Max. Otherwise, just nod to Jeanine and only ask questions and make comments if needed."

I nodded, but I knew that that was a promise I would not be able to keep. I was notorious for expressing my blunt opinion, so it is not certain that I will follow that rule.

In a matter of minutes, we arrived to the front of the compound where a line of blue cars were waiting to take us to the compound. Eric and I were in the first car.

Upon arriving, Eric became a fabulous gentlemen and opened my door, holding out a hand to help me out of the car. The compound was rather tall with the structure being made of glass. The glass showed the countless offices and staircases that wound to the top of the building, where there was a large library.

Hooking arms with me, Eric led me to the entrance of the building and through countless hallways that eventually led up to a set of tall, glass double doors. Through the glass I could see a long, dark oak table and chair set with blue plates and centerpieces. At the end was a blank, white screen that I guessed was set up for a presentation.

A couple of waiters opened the doors for us to be met by the one and only: Jeanine Matthews.

She seemed to be the stereotypical Erudite: proper and dressed in blue. Her blond hair was down, covering the shoulders of her blue blazer she pulled off well. Her eyes were dull and her lips formed a fake smile.

"Good evening, Eric," she said in a somewhat relaxed tone.

"Good evening, Jeanine. I'm hoping to see great results from your experiments."

"You're in luck," she noted, turning to look at me with a concerned look. "Who's this?"

I smiled and held my hand out for her to shake, "I'm Adelaide Foster, Special Ops Officer."

Jeanine looked at me with a stunned face, "Adelaide 'Popper' Foster?"

I nodded, "The one and only."

She immediately shook my hand, "It is an honor to meet you."

I shook my head, "The honor is mine. I am interested in seeing what you have planned."

She smiled, "Someone of your caliber of intelligence should understand the meaning of this movement."

I nodded, "I sure hope so."