Chapter 9: Blackmailing

I was so angry and surprised seeing his message. What the hell is wrong with him? Why is he doing so? Why is he giving me punishment for something I haven't done

I opened the text tab and replied him 'you wouldn't do that. What the hell is your problem?' I hesitantly tapped send

I waited for 15 minutes and there was no reply. Khatija came in and informed that it was the time to leave.
I gave a heavy sigh out. 'Don't worry Aaira the jitters and nervousness is natural but i assure you everything will be just fine. Khatija held my hand comforting

'It's not about the normal jitters and nervousness. My matter is very different from usual brides and engagement ceremonies.  Here I'm being threatened for some unknown reason and I'm forced to do so due to some unknown mistake or something which I have or may have done' i thought to myself.

'Hello? !! Come on' khatija pulled me towards herself.

I walked slowly towards the car, and khatija helped me in. 'Be careful hun, you dont want to rip your dress off' she said giggling. After a 15 minute drive, we finally reached the venue it stated "THE PEARL GARDEN". i took in a deep breath as the car halted infront of the gate. A huge group of my cousins came towards the car door and helped me out. 'Oh my you look gorgeous shurooq!!' one of them said. 'Shahid is so lucky to have you' other one exclaimed. As many of them complemented me, shahid's sister Zara approached me and told ' Shurooq I'm zara, we havent met officially yet' she said giving me a warm hug. 'Its wonderful to meet you i said with a smile'. ' Youre looking breathtaking today' she said. 'Thank you and so are you' i said turning towards her.

'Come, lets go in' khatija said grabbing my hand. I went in and literally thousand pair of eyes turned towards me. My legs were shaking with nervousness. i tried walking as beautiful as possible and went towards the stage and went on it. The camera man came towards me and started instructing different poses to strike for the lens. Various other girls started clicking my pictures with their mobiles and or cameras. Shahid's mother came towards me and gave me a warm hug 'You look beautiful darling, Im so happy for us. Welcome to the family' she said with a genuine smile. 'Thank you so much' i smiled back.

Zara came and started teasing me '  You know Shahid always said that he wanted the most beautiful girl in the world..well looks like his childhood fetish has finally come true' she said laughing. My heart churned and i felt sick to the stomach. It seemed that something opposite and wrong was happening. 'Oh well i guess Shahid will join us now to begin the engagement ceremony.' she said cheerfully. I smiled back.

With his friends and cousins Shahid came up on the stage he was wearing a black suit and was neatly groomed. If i wasnt so preoccupied with my thoughts i would certainly notice how handsome he seemed. When he came near me he lifted his right eyebrow and smuged. His mother gave him ring which he slid in my finger, then it was my turn. I took the ring and with shakey hands i slid it in his finger. Everyone clapped joyfully, some of them hooted. My mother. khatija, zara and Shahid's mother hugged me and congragulated me. 

Shahid leaned in and whispered "congratulations babe. Enjoy the game' and winked.