Chapter Seven: A Lullaby

"Okay, talk." Elliot ordered, sitting down at a table.

Renee folded her arms over her chest. "Well, I remember when I was younger, I was exploring my parents' closet. I found a shoebox, full of old newspaper clippings. Apparently, my parents had clipped articles off and had put them in there. I had no idea why."

"And what does this have to do with Alexis?"

"One of the clippings puzzled me. I remember looking at it every day. It told of a car accident, where a young couple and their daughter were driving one night when something happened. The car careened and flipped over the side of a cliff. Both parents died from the resulting explosion. However, their young daughter survived, and was placed in an orphanage."

Elliot frowned. "How did it puzzle you?"

"Well, for one thing, the article said that the investigators claimed there had been some sort of struggle before the car crashed. And they found shards of crystal amongst the wreckage, along with traces of a strange glowing substance. They discovered the little girl covered in a large amount of this substance. However, it soon disappeared, almost as if the girl had absorbed it, right into her body."

Zoey gasped. "You don't think--- that wasn't Blue Aqua, was it?"

"Maybe. It might have been. Scientists did various analysises of the substance, and discovered that it had an extremely high concentration of energy. What the substance was, however, remained a mystery. The girl was placed in an orphanage several days after the accident. The police investigators claimed that, when they were near the girl, they could've sworn they felt a change in their moods and emotions. Like she was changing their very feelings."

Elliot narrowed his eyes. "You're right. It does sound a lot like Alexis's story." Hs mind wandered back to the memory she had shown him, the one of the car accident. There had been flashes of blue light. "We'll need to check this out further. Wesley. Look up car accidents near cliffs in the area. We'll investigate this as soon as possible. If that girl really was Alexis, and that substance really had been Blue Aqua, then that would explain her strange abilities and being chosen as a host for Deep Blue. We could find out who she really is."

Alexis strolled through the trees along the road, breathing in the salty scent of the sea. She could see a cliff up ahead, overlooking the bay. 

Suddenly, a memory flashed through her mind. A white car. Screams. Light. Falling. Only this memory was much clearer. She could see every tree, every rock. And a cliff overlooking a bay.

Shock hit her with the force of a charging rhino. This place, the trees, that boulder a few feet away, the railing that looked as though something had torn it right out of the ground. The car accident in her memory had been right here! She was positive about it. 

Quickly, she pulled out her power pendant to contact Zoey.

"Alexis? What's up?" She answered.

"Hi, Zoey. Can I speak with Elliot, please?"

"Sure!"

A few seconds later, Elliot's voice came from the tiny speaker. "Alexis? What's wrong?"

"Um, well, I think you'd better check this out."

"What is it?"

"I remembered the car accident. It happened right here, where I'm standing. I'm positive about it."

"What?! Where are you?"

"On the cliff over the bay."

"Stay right there. We'll be over as fast as possible."