He had never been a bad person, and I always had that nagging thought that my mother was only with him because of the money in his bank account.

Despite the lack of a mansion (even though the place was pretty big) my step dad was extremely well off. And for the amount of work he puts in, I didn't doubt that for a second. He was always working.

"How's things?" I asked. My step dad huffed.

"Busy as usual. Where's your mother?"

"Drunk. Xavier took her to bed." I replied. My step dad looked to me.

"Xavier? Who's Xavier?" His eyebrows were furrowed in confusion. "You didn't tell me you had a boyfriend, Em." I shrugged in reply.

I never told my step dad anything, my mother usually got there before I had the chance. But I never really spoke to my step father anyway unless he was home and I was too. Phone calls weren't really our thing.

"He'll be down in a minute so you'll be able to meet him. Please go easy on him, he's had-"

"A tough time with your mother? Yeah I can guess that much. She's just looking out for you, don't take it to heart." He smiled reassuringly my way.

When I was younger I never liked him. He wasn't allowed to replace my father, he wasn't allowed to love my mother. It was just her and I for a while and I thought he only came into my life to mess things up more than they already were. I was young, and lonely, scared and a little less accepting.

Growing up taught me that he wasn't all that bad. He was married to my mother and he made a hell of a lot of sense. I valued his opinions and views, because I learnt they were very close to my own.

Even though I didn't see him often or talk to him to catch up, I knew he was more of a father to me than anybody else and I realised I had to live with what I had. And I knew he'd help me with anything if and when I ever needed it.

I had to admit, I didn't know him as much as I would have liked. But it did make me want to value my time with him a little bit more.

And also, he didn't have any children and I was the closest thing to a daughter.

"I just want him to feel valued." And I really did. I desperately wanted him to feel valued, loved and needed. Hell, he needed it.

"Do you value him?" I looked to my step father.

"I value him more than anything." And I for once was adamant with that. I meant it, I really did.

"Then it doesn't matter about your mother. She'll come around, trust me, she always does. But I'll have a word with her when she's recovered from her drinking festivities." I laughed at him.

"Thanks, dad." He beamed my way before getting up from the sofa.

"S'alright kiddo. I'm going to check on your mother a minute." He ruffled the top of my head before moving to the door, putting a hand through his thick and greying hair. "Oh, hey Xavier, nice to meet you, I'm

I saw his hand being stretched out infront of him before Xavier's hand came out to accept it.

"Nice to meet you too." I heard Xavier's voice ring out from the hall. My dad then stepped aside.

"She's in there, mate." He clapped him on the back before rushing up the stairs to check on my mother.

Xavier sauntered into the room, his forehead a little wet from perspiration. The room got hotter as soon as he entered.

I guess I would never tire from
this feeling every time I saw him.

"Even mildly passed out she's hard to handle." Xavier stated as he flung himself backwards on to the couch beside me. "Like mother like daughter." Xavier winked my way.