CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE✔️

Start from the beginning

"We have the dagger now, we can stop him," Elena said, her tone sounding hopeful.

"If only the dagger worked on a hybrid," Arabella responded, glancing up at Elena's confused doe eyes.

"When a werewolf is wounded by silver, it heals. An Original can't be killed by anything, but white oak ash on a silver dagger. The dagger doesn't work, see the problem?" Elijah explained.

"What, are you saying Klaus can't be killed?" Elena questioned.

"There's one way to kill any supernatural species—at the hands of nature themselves," Elijah stated.

"A witch," Elena breathed, "if they can channel that much power. But it would kill them."

"The curse must be broken during a full moon. When Klaus is in transition. That's when he'll be at his most vulnerable. A witch with enough power...can kill Klaus," Elijah said confidently.

"What if I told you that I knew a witch that could channel that much power?" Elena asked. Arabella knew exactly what was going through the doppelganger's mind.

"Then I would tell you there is one more thing that you should know..."

flashback

"The full moon is tomorrow,"  Klaus announced as Arabella and Elijah walked in.

"After all these centuries, it is finally time," Klaus muttered, his gaze moving from the fire and to his siblings.

"I have been to see the witches," Elijah stated. "They believe they may have found a way to spare the doppelganger."

Arabella raised an eyebrow at this information. Guilt was starting to pool in her gut; she already had a plan to spare Katerina. It was to let her go—and for Arabella to go with her.

"What does it matter if she lives or not?  She is a mean's end to an end, that is all." Klaus responded.

"What, she should die for your gain?" Arabella questioned, glancing at her brother.

"She is human," Klaus remarked, humor and amusement laced in his voice. "Her life means nothing." Arabella rolled her eyes but kept silent.

"I beg you to consider this," Elijah pleaded. Arabella glanced at her older sibling in shock.

Klaus fully turned around so that he was facing Elijah and questioned, "Are you so foolish as to care for her?"

"Of course not," Elijah lied.

"Love is a vampire's greatest weakness, and we are not weak, Elijah. We do not feel and we do not care."

"We did once," Arabella softly said, her eyes glued to her book.

Klaus paused before answering, "Too many lifetimes ago to matter."

Arabella sighed and turned the page of her book. Maybe it was the hopeless romantic in her, but Arabella had a hard time believing the words of her brother.

"Tell the witches not to bother. The sacrifice will happen as planned," Klaus declared and after that, he left.

flashback over

"You found a way to save the life of the doppelganger?" Elena asked.

"Yes, Elena. I did," Elijah stated, his gaze snapping to the doppelgänger.

"But unfortunately, Katerina took matters into her own hands first," Elijah glanced at his sister before adding, "with help. I believe you already know how that played out."

Elena studied Elijah. "You cared about her, didn't you?"

"It's a common mistake, I'm told. And it's one I won't make again." With that, Elijah walked away and out the Lockwood mansion.

~~~

"You're right, thank you for being in love with my girlfriend." Stefan's voice rang throughout the house. Arabella heard the words clear as a bell. She had just arrived at the Salvatore's and even before she walked in, her heart was breaking. Arabella knew Damon loved Elena; she had been fooling herself to think that Damon had stopped. It wasn't until she actually heard it that it was true. That everything came crashing down.

"Damn it," Arabella muttered. She stayed, though. She continued to hear out the Salvatore's.

Not once had her name been mentioned. Not once had the brothers use her name. It was only Elena, and that's how it always would be.

This feeling was foreign to Arabella at first. She was so used to being first, and now that she was second, it was different.

Arabella wanted to cry and scream as she continued to listen to the brothers fight. She wanted to show Damon that she was listening to every word he said; how it tormented her. But she didn't. Arabella knew what she had to do. To stop her pain, to stop her sadness.

She had to turn it off.

~~~

edited as of: 1/16/16