Chapter 24

I slipped off my sandals and let the sand find its way through my toes as we slowly continued towards the water.

"It's really beautiful here today," I said to break the silence. Cesar nodded and took off his shoes, too.

"Let's sit over there by the water," he suggested as we got closer to the water. The beach was busy as usual on a Monday afternoon, but we didn't need much room. He led me to a small empty area he had pointed out and we sat down. I put down my purse and awkwardly take off my shirt to reveal my bikini.

Warning: high uncomfort rating.

I mean, first of all, we're in a public place, plus I'm in front of a boy-- and I'm 14. *shiver* I guess I never really thought about this part. However, I continue to remove my shorts despite the unbelievable amount of unease.

"Let's go to the water," I get excited to go into the ocean as I realize how warm it is... and how much sweat has formed on the back of my neck. He takes off his shirt as I start to walk towards the line where sand meets water. Because staring would be weird right...

He catches up with me and I step into the water.

"It's so cold!" I screech.

"You're such a baby, it is not!" He says while walking farther in. I don't want to be a seen as what one would call a "chicken," so I toughen up and lower myself into the chilly blue sea.

~~~~~~

After swimming and dunking each other under water for a good amount of time, we decide that we've had enough and go back to our spot on the sand. Since it's so warm out, probably 90 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't even realize that I don't have a towel until Cesar comments on it.

He apologizes for being so ignorant (which I didn't think he was) and runs to a small shop by the parking lot. I just put on my shorts and sit in the sand, letting the sun soak into my skin at its golden hour.

I retrieve my phone from my purse and look through the notifications. Most are from Twitter and other social medias, but one is from my mom.

"How are things going?" She asked. It was then that I realized we were swimming for at least 45 minutes.

"Things are great. We're at the beach right now, probably will be home at four." I reply and go to Instagram while I wait for Cesar.

The beach is so pretty today, so I obviously have to post a picture of it. I snap an artsy shot and add the caption "Lazy Monday" with a palm tree emoji.

He soon comes back, running towards me with two cheap towels. I don't care how much he spent, I just want to lie down.

"Sorry, they didn't have any Doritos, but I got these." He hands me a snack size bag of potato chips and I chuckle.

"You didn't have to get us food," I remark.

"Well, too bad; I did." He lays out his towel and opens his bag of chips, too. I mimic his actions and we sit side by side on our towels.

"So what are we going to do after this?" I ask the question that's been bothering me since I first saw him.

"Well, you have my number now, so no Internet glitches or anything can get in between us." He assures me.

"But can long distance work?" I put my half finished bag of chips next to my purse and sit with my legs crossed.

It stays silent and I listen to the waves crash against the rocks not far from us. He sighs. "I guess we'll see." He lies back on his towel on his right side so he's facing me, and I look at him. "But I hope it does. We both want it to work, so it has to, right?" I nod uncertainly and run my hand through the warm sand. I smile when I think about us, but I'm filled with despair at the same time. I want it to work.