Surprises Good and Bad

Howl opened the door, and slowly walked in. He put his jacket on a chair, and sat by his place by the fire. He exhaled and closed his eyes for moment. He knew she was there, standing at the base of the stairs.

"What happened, Mr. Howl?" She asked, questioning him. She walked over, sitting on the couch.

He waited a few moments before responding, letting the fire warm him up a little more. "Well, Madam Suliman says that there's a witch that needs to be checked upon in case if she goes rogue or becomes wicked. Suliman also said that if they she the witch they should send her to the palace immediately. "

He felt her tense up, and smiled slightly. "Between us, we're aware of who it is. But, I'm not going to reveal you just like that. I'm a pretty nice guy, if you ask me. And anyway, it would be boring if I just gave you away like that. "

He heard her cover a laugh with a cough and looked up. She looked into the fire, a faint smirk on her face. "Well gee, Howl. That just makes me feel great. You just want entertainment don't you? After your breakup. " She snickered, and he put on a frown.

"Who told you about that?" He asked, voice faltering. He was still sensitive about that, but was slowly moving on. And today had helped.

"Well, a certain loudmouth demon told me everything. A quite entertaining story if you ask me. " Calcifer woke for a second, and hissed at Erin. Her voice lowered for a second. "You should probably move on though. It's not good to be stuck in the past. It can only make even the least painful things feel like burning daggers. " He saw that her eyes unfocused for a second, and he received a short vision.

A gentle mother's touch on her daughter's shoulder, giving her a bag, and telling her to go. The shouts of people outside. Insults of all kinds. Running without looking back.

"Howl?" She says, ending the vision. "Do you care for some food? I'm a little hungry myself. I guess spells make you hungry. "

"Yeah, I'll take some. "

Minutes later, they ate silently, the only noises were the settling of the house. Erin takes his plate when he is done, and washes their plates together. When she is done, she goes to the door, opening it to look at the night sky above.

She takes a step forward, stepping out into the empty street. The wind blows, just enough to take her bandana off. Short black hair whips out, blowing towards her face.

He sees as she closes her eyes for a moment, and the reflection of the moon shines on her face. He doesn't understand how she didn't realize how beautiful she is, and he can't fathom how he only met her for a day, yet it felt like a lifetime.

She sighs, and heads back in. She rubs her eyes, and lays down on the couch. "I love the night time the best. " She says to no one in particular. "Everything is so quiet, and everything seems so beautiful. The sound of the faint breeze blowing always makes me feel better," She pauses, and then continues, "My mom always told me that even though people can be cruel to each other, and hate each other, in the end we all sleep under the same moon at night. "

"You miss her, don't you, Erin?" He asks, his voice soft. He doesn't want to seem intruding, since he only wants to know her better. He wants to know the mysterious girl on his couch better.

"Yeah, I really do. It's like a weight has been placed on my chest. And she told me that I couldn't come back until it was time. She said I would know when, but still, I miss her so." She plays with a piece of hair, eyebrows furrowed.

"Well, someone once told me that a heart's a heavy burden." Howl stood up, and walked towards the stairs. "Well, have a good night, Erin. "

"Night, Howl. "
---
She wakes up to the smell of eggs and bacon. She rises, and they say good morning to her. She brushes her teeth first, then meets them at the table.