Chapters 22 & 23

XXII

"Alexander, consider yourself a lucky little fucker."

From across the room, Alexander Arlotti stared drowsily into the wide eyes of Val, Joe, De Palma, Chase, Pet, and Amelia. A grief-stricken Floren and Silvio had left the hospital several hours before, following a brief conversation with the paramedics concerning the deaths of Anthony, Martolli, and Agnese. Much to their relief, the police seemed to completely trust in Silvio's statement that all of the murders were due to spur-of-the-moment self-defense attempts, and Chase's presenting Martolli's disturbing emails and files to the police seemed to thoroughly hammer in the group's innocence.

Thankfully, in the midst of the moment, the police hadn't thought to ask Chase how he had unearthed such resources.

Now Alexander lay limp in the Padilla-Beck General Hospital, floating in and out of consciousness as his cousins and uncles stood over him in a state of anxiousness. Much to Val's relief, the doctors confidently confirmed Alexander's recovery as definite and prompt. As Alexander gradually opened his eyes and glanced wearily around the room, De Palma let out a sigh of relief and clasped his nephew's arm firmly.

"Alexander, we have...unfortunate news," Joe took slow steps forward, gazing down at his cousin. "We lost a good man yesterday."

"Huh?"

"Your Uncle Anthony is dead," Joe mumbled. "Shot and killed in the doorway of Martolli's office."

Alexander closed his eyes tightly and took in a deep breath. "What...about Martolli?"

"We dunno about him," De Palma muttered as he glanced behind his shoulder. "The paramedics seemed more concerned 'bout you, Agnese, and Anthony. But don't you worry, Alex, Martolli's dead and gone."

Amelia Arlotti shivered and wrapped her arm around Val's neck. "I can't begin to say how...relieved I am that creep is finally dead. It killed me, not being able to walk out of my own house without worrying about being shot or taped by the FBI."

"The FBI hasn't watched our house in weeks," Val mumbled to his wife. "Alexander was the most recent prime suspect."

"Not anymore," Alexander groaned as he fidgeted under the blankets. "Right, Val? The cops gotta know Martolli's behind it now."

"Frankly, the authorities aren't sure what to make of this," a crisp voice announced from the doorway.

Val, Joe, De Palma, Chase, Pet, and Amelia all turned in surprise to see Dr. Howard Garza, who smiled slightly from behind his clipboard. "Though I can reassure you, Mr. Arlotti, I don't believe you need worry about being under the police's radar. The overwhelming evidence provided by Martolli's emails seems reason enough to trust your allegations."

"Wait a sec, who the hell spilled our situation to you?" De Palma squinted at Dr. Garza inquisitively. "You been eavesdropping or somethin'?"

Dr. Garza laughed and approached a drowsy Alexander, handing him pills and a cup of water. "Is that a serious question? Son, this apparent showdown in the office on Pleasant Street is all people are talking about in the building. The police wished to inform you that all accusations made to in your regard will be dropped immediately."

"About time!" Alexander downed the pills hastily and glanced excitedly around the room. "I was gettin' nervous there for a second, thought they was really gonna try haulin' me off to prison."

"Agnese Linen...is she...?" Val raised his eyebrows at Dr. Garza, who quickly glanced down and shook his head.

"No," he replied after a short moment of silence. "She didn't make it. Even if she did, the woman most likely would have faced some serious jail time for assisting Martolli in the murders of Shelton Wallace and Roberta Yards, and for the attempted murder of yourself."