Chapters 6, 7, and 8

VI

"These halfwits sure do clean up nice, huh?"

Now a half hour into the dinner party, Val and Shelton found themselves drifting aimlessly around the lively function hall in boredom, champagne glasses in hand, and discreetly making remarks about their fellow co-workers. Val occasionally glanced over his shoulder in obvious paranoia, apprehension flickering in his dark brown eyes.

Shelton smiled softly and casually elbowed his friend. "You still worried about this morning? Amelia and the kids?"

"Shelt, what if someone goes after them? I feel like I shouldn't be here!"

"Come on, Val, they're with your mother for Pete's sake. What's the worst thing that can happen in a cutesy little retirement home?"

Val smirked at Shelton cheerfully. "Hmm, death?"

"You know what I meant, Val!"

At that moment, Val felt a light tap on his shoulder, turning swiftly to see Agnese Linen, an infrequent but well-liked subsitute teacher at StamburyHigh School. Agnese smiled charmingly, leaning in as she said, "I tried that lasagna of yours, and honestly, it's by far the most appealing platter here."

Val grinned slyly at Shelton. "Musta been that anardana, huh, Shelt?"

Agnese Linen turned then to beam at Shelton. "Mr. Wallace, it is a pleasure as usual to see you. Dale must be so pleased in his faculty for having such... kindly relations with each other."

"Those clowns have been friends for fifteen years, if my memory is correct."

Val and Shelton turned slightly to see none other than Roberta Yards, dressed in a sophisticated blue blazer and matching skirt. She eyed Val's clean-cut suit flirtatiously, or, at least, she attempted to; to Val she only succeeded in looking perplexed.

"Sure doesn't feel like fifteen years," Shelton whistled. "Anyway, I'm starving. Where do you guys want to sit?"

Forty-five minutes later, Val found himself laughing lightheartedly along with Shelton, Agnese, and Roberta, disregarding for the first time that day the worries he had brooded over. Subsequently, Principal Dale Erikson and several others members of the school committee joined themselves at the table as well, conversing particularly with Val on his abounding success and popularity in the community as an educator.

"You must be constantly drained, Mr. Arlotti, from the involvment in such a multitude of organizations," one female member concluded admiringly. "I don't suppose I could balance such a busy lifestyle."

Val smiled politely and sipped from the champagne glass he held in his hand. "It's not a very difficult lifestyle, in truth. I enjoy what I do, and I try not to take on more than I can manage. Finding a fair balance between my school life and home life has always remained extremely important to me."

Shelton cleared his throat abruptly, grinning at Val as he said, "He sure is an impressive man, alright; it's just his sex life that's a little humdrum, eh, Val?"

 Low, shocked gasps escaped from the table members as they glared first at Shelton in disapproval, and then embarrassment towards Val, whose ears burned a bright red. Shelton appeared to be in a state of disbelief himself, covering his mouth with his hand as if he could not believe the words that had escaped his lips.

"Shelt," Val muttered through his teeth. "Could we, you know, have a little talk outside the hall?"

VII

Shelton followed Val into the main corridor outside the function room, where he sincerely looked his friend in the eyes and said, "Val, I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from- I wasn't thinking!"