Chapter 4

I have nowhere to run except for Shida's house. Once I enter the house, I run straight to Mr Kitagawa. Huffing and puffing, I say.
"A crowd of students saw me jump off the roof of the school building! Including Shida-kun!"
He stops working and stares at me, then laughs.
"Hahaha! Why were you on the roof?!" He asks, still laughing.
"W-well... I was just practising my swordsmanship... B-b-but that's not the problem here! Some students saw me!" I say embarrassed.
"Hahaha, okay, okay, did you try to look for a memory wipe spell in the grimoire?" He asks.

I shake my head, I wish I would've thought of that sooner. I grab the grimoire out of my bag, then look for the spell. There isn't a spell for a memory wipe. I guess I just have to hope for them to forget.

I can hear Shida's voice, he must've chased after me again. I can't let him see me though. I run to the guest room, open the window and climb up to the roof. As the daughter of the previous most powerful mage, I've learnt to defend and escape from enemies. So I've been hiding on roofs or trees for years. People have been trying to capture my brother and I and as a hostage so they can trade us for our father's soul.

"Reiko-san? Where are you?" Shida calls out to me. "Otōsan (father), do you know where Reiko-san is?"
No, why ask Mr Kitagawa? Why not someone else? This is going to be troublesome, I sigh.
"No I haven't seen her, what do you need her for?"
Huh? He didn't tell Shida? I smile, it's great to have someone who you can trust. I have been living in agony for years, the people that I thought I could trust, are now gone.

"Excuse me, what you doing on Kitagawa roof?" A lady walking her dog asks. She must be one of their neighbours. She's speaking in Japanese and I can somewhat understand what she's saying.
"U-umm, I'm living in here for the time being, and I'm just relaxing up here." I struggle as I say.
Even with that excuse she doesn't seem so happy.
"Get down! Do you dirty it is?!" She starts yelling at me.
I understood 'get down' and 'do you dirty it is', so I'm guessing she's saying to get down from the roof, and how dirty it is up here? I have such a hard time understanding her. I jump down from the roof and walk towards her.
"Jeez, kids days, you see climbing something! Now little miss, you need to behaving if going to live in Kitagawa! Come here, you've dirt all you!" (Btw, what the lady is saying is what Reiko ONLY understands. The lady is saying A LOT more. Just to let you know.)
She dusts off the dirt from my clothes, and pushes me to the door. In my mind I thought, 'words...' I couldn't make out properly what she was saying, though she looked really angry.

Ding dong! She rings the doorbell then walks away with her dog. I can hear footsteps, should I run away? Or should I talk things over with Shida? The door swings open before I know it.
"Reiko-san?" Shida looks surprised.
I give him the cold shoulder and walk straight past him. I don't want to talk about anything.

Today at school I'm avoiding Shida. I've been getting him involved with me and the organisation, it's not safe for him. I don't want to talk about this either, and I don't want Shida to find my true identity. It's going to be hard to do that with all the Doru around. I have an idea! I'm going to put up a barrier so anyone who works for the organisation can't come through.

At lunch, I go to a spot where no one will find me. I close my eyes and shout the incantation for the barrier.
"Lumen Baria!"
A shield forms around me once again.
"Kyoka!"
It enhances around the school building, making all the dolls that were in the building disappear. Much better, now we'll be safe within the barrier.

Lunch is over, and I return to class. Shida stares at me as I walk to my desk. Something unusual is going on, I can see a pink aura around the room. I wonder who it's from? I turn to everybody in the class and lastly, Shida. It was him producing the pink aura, his normal sky blue aura changed to pink. His face is red too, I wonder why?

Just then, I remember that he was staring at me before. That's odd, I've never seen him like this before, usually he would be on his phone without caring one bit. I don't want him to take this the wrong way... Maybe I should tell him the situation, or should I ask Mr Kitagawa first? If Shida confesses to me, I don't know what I'll say. The promise that I made... I won't forget it.

I look back at my books, trying to ignore Shida. His pink aura is everywhere, I can't concentrate. This is so frustrating, I snap my pen in half. Realising what I've done, I walk out of the classroom, not leaving any trace of speech. As I walk out of the building I see black miasma covering the barrier that I created.

I guess the leader of the organisation's smarter than I thought. I need to clear the miasma before it drains my power. Just before I shout the incantation, the miasma drains my power leaving me with nothing. If my powers are drained then the barrier will...

My barrier shrinks until it turns into nothing. Several Dorus jump towards the school. There're too many to fight, plus all my power's drained. A Doru then walks towards me and stops about a meter away. No, this one's human.