⚜ - s e v e n t e e n - ⚜ (yandere! m. mermaid x f. reader)

"ーare you okay?"

The merman blinks three times before he finally turns to the princess, looking in a daze as he feels all empty inside him.

The scenery of the beach was beautiful, and the princess was also breathtaking in that new dress she wore for the banquet tonight, but his heart could not be at ease until he saw his true mate. Deep in his heart, he wondered; if he hadn't confused his feelings for the princess as love, in fact, it was just friendship, would he have been happy with you right now? If times could be rewinded, he would'veーwith no hesitationーaccepted his mate's sudden proposal of marriage when they first met.

The merman frowned. He felt guilty; for a merman, it was his job to look out for his mate, but his mate had found him first, even going so bold as to declare her love right on the spot, but he foolishly rejected her, completely blinded by the fact that from the beginning, their souls belonged to each other.

He groaned in despair. He really wanted to see you right now, and apologize to you.

"Are you sickー?"

His eyes widened when the princess tried to put her small hand on his forehead, and he turned away as quickly as possible in order not to be touched, causing the princess to look at him in confusion.

"What's wrong?" The princess stood up, standing on the sand, all while staring at him with doe eyes. "Is this because I didn't invite you to the castle? Don't be mad, please, I'm just worried thatー"

The merman cut her off before she could finish, "I'm not mad."

The princess was exasperated; the merman felt distance somehow. "Then whyー?"

"I have a mate."

The beach was silent for a while as a seagull flew over.

The princess then finally reacted by blinking in surprise when the words finally processed in her mind before her eyes twinkled in delight. "Oh my... Oh my! Is your mate a mermaid? Is she pretty like those mermaids I've heard of before? Ah, don't get me wrong, mermen are pretty too, butー"

He pursed his lips at her interest. "She's a human, and she's very pretty."

Despite the eagerness of the princess to know about his pretty human, the merman felt displeasure at the thought of unraveling his mate to her. Like the water dragons in the deepest depths of the ocean, he felt a strong urge to hide his treasure (you) away, afraid that someone might steal it from him.

When the princess asked a variety of questions about you, the merman did not have any intention to spill the beans; he himself hardly knew anything. Why should he share any information he knows with someone who could potentially be a threat to him?

After a while, he finally couldn't stand her questions. Glancing at her, he pointed at the sunset. "It's late. Don't you have to go?"

The princess gasped, glancing at the sun. "Oh no, my father would kill me if he knew I'm nowhere inside the castle! I have to go!"

The merman was glad that the princess was finally leaving, but he forgot that she was the type of person who would give a peck on the cheek before parting. By the time he remembered, he was too late to prevent those lips from kissing his cheek. The merman did not even have time to get mad when the princess was already running away.

Like a statue, the merman sat on the sand with his webbed hand touching his cheek before his sharp nails dug into his scales, tearing them apart as he drew blood. The bloody scales fell to the sand.

Dirty, the merman thought. It was almost funny how the kiss that he once cherished felt so repulsive that he felt like puking.

The merman breathed out to calm his emotions. He ignored the throbbing sensation of pain on his cheek, staring at the sunset before him. It was such beautiful scenery, but it would be prettier if you were here.