𝟎𝟑𝟓

excuse any mistakes!

𝙰𝚃𝙻𝙰𝙽𝚃𝙰, 𝙶𝙰 ——

𝙰𝚃𝙻𝙰𝙽𝚃𝙰, 𝙶𝙰
——

The day had finally come—Cairo could leave the place he had stayed for 53 days. In just two months, he had transformed his life, becoming healthier and better. Though he still had some work to do, he was glad to be clean and free from any bad habits.

His return home wasn't a surprise to his friends and aunt, but it was to his Haven.  He hadn't been able to share the news with her because she had traveled with her mom on a weekend trip. When she got back, she immediately returned to work and couldn't visit Cairo, as it was one of the days his mom normally visited.

Cairo managed to pull off his return well. His friends kept their promise and didn't say a word, not even to their girlfriends, knowing they could potentially reveal too much to Haven.

His release from rehab felt eerily similar to his past release from jail. First, he went home and relished the luxury of his own shower. Next, he got a haircut, checked on his business, visited his mom, and finally, went to see Amir.

At the front desk, he received a visitor's pass with Amir's room number written on it. As he walked down the hall, his eyes scanned the room signs, noting the numbers decreasing as he went farther. Room 303 came into view, the door closed. He knocked lightly three times before opening it, a cold breeze hitting him.

"You can come in," Amir responded, prompting Cairo to enter fully. He rounded the corner near the bathroom, and Amir came into sight. Amir's eyes widened as he noticed Cairo. As much as he wanted to get up and hug him, he couldn't—not with the strongest bone in his body broken.

"When did you get home?" Amir asked, "You look different."

"Earlier this morning," Cairo replied, taking a seat in the chair nearest to his bed. As he settled into the seat, he was able to take a full look at Amir for the first time since he arrived.

The sight was sobering: Amir lay there with a hip cast, tubes snaking out from various parts of his body, and the relentless beeping of the heart monitor filling the room with its sterile rhythm.

Amir's eyes drifted toward the large window that offered a view of the bustling city of Atlanta. The skyline, vibrant and full of life, seemed like a cruel contrast to the stillness of the hospital room. A heavy silence settled between them, laden with unspoken words and simmering emotions.

Amir braced himself for the inevitable confrontation, feeling the weight of Cairo's presence and the reproach he was sure would follow. He already felt like he was getting a bunch of "I told you so" just from the look in Cairo's eyes.

"Go ahead and yell at me, do what you gotta do."

Cairo frowned, the lines on his face deepening as he leaned forward in his seat. "I'm not gonna yell at you, Amir. I don't have any reason to. I just came to check up on you."