Tied To The Ocean Part 5

The sea is rough, but as Wei Ying predicted, it is manageable. In no time at all, they swim down to the lower depths of the ocean where it is calm, where none of the surface chaos can reach them.

Tonight, they are welcomed from afar with bright songs full of cheer and hopefulness, and the sound guides them as they swim hand in hand down to the valley of the Mer-people.

There's such a difference in how they're received, as well. Both Lan Zhan and Wei Ying are hugged and kissed before being brought inside the Palace of Crystal and Coral.

Haiyang Wang Zhu is waiting for them with a serene look in his eyes, and after they exchange greetings, they are offered a seat on a sea-grass bed.

He waves a hand and a group of mer-folk gather in front of them, six in total. They begin to dance, a choreography of grace and elegance that feels ancient, as if this is a ritual passed down from their ancestors. The Mer-people sway and swish in the waters, using their tails and their hands, weaving in and out between each other.

Their expressive eyes convey so much emotion, and they even use their fins to execute timeless moves. It is a stunning display of skill and technique, and towards the end, Wei Ying even tries to join in.

Lan Zhan is delighted with him.

Haiyang Wang Zhu claps his hands together once the dancers disperse, and a new set of mer-people come and start playing music on strange instruments. One lady is playing a harp that looks ordinary until Lan Zhan notices that the strings are silver skinny eels, their mouths biting on wooden knots at the top, while their tails are wrapped tightly around wooden screws on the bottom. The music is divine, though.

There are two octopuses with tiny little drumsticks in six of their tentacles, delicately striking two sets of xylophones, while a mer-man periodically blows through a conch shell.

"Grandfather, may I ask you a question?" Lan Zhan asks him, after Wei Ying returns to his side with a different Mer-baby.

This one keeps tugging on his lovely long hair, and for once, Lan Zhan definitely approves. The child keeps gurgling and laughing every time Wei Ying pulls funny faces at him.

"Of course. What would you like to know?"

"Were you able to ask about Wei Ying's people?"

"We have sent out messages, but it might be a while before we receive any replies," Haiyang Wang Zhu says thoughtfully. "Our kind is divided into those who settle in one place, and those that prefer to roam, so you can appreciate why there's a delay."

"Mn. I do not know anything about our people, so please forgive me for asking. I am merely eager to hear good news." Lan Zhan reminds himself that he doesn't know what might offend them, so it's better to be careful.

"That is alright. We understand and make adjustments towards you both accordingly. But I hear, congratulations are in order?" Haiyang Wang Zhu looks knowingly at them both.

"Congratulations?" Wei Ying looks at Lan Zhan. "What did you tell him?"

Lan Zhan just shakes his head minutely, wondering if his grandfather, or indeed, all of the mer-folk possess a superhuman hearing ability since they seem to know something. Did they hear Wei Ying and himself last night?

They weren't being particularly quiet, but then they did not know they were being listened to...or even worse, observed?

Lan Zhan's ears go completely red at the thought, just as Wei Ying says quite firmly, "You have to forgive us for not understanding why we are being congratulated. Perhaps you could explain?"