Chapter 41 - Emerson

After our amazing time in Montevideo, things really picked up. We traveled to South Africa, Botswana, Mauritius, Angola, Mozambique, Seychelles, Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, China, Nepal, India, Jordan, Turkey, and Georgia. We finally made it to Europe where we were only going to visit Austria, Germany, Belgium, and then Denmark. From there, we were going to go to Montreal and then home.

"What has been your favorite country so far?" Faye asked me as we were resting on the hotel bed after arriving to Vienna.

"Singapore was incredible, maybe a little overwhelming. I mean, we both loved Montevideo. You were right about South Africa, it was great. Then the Philippines and Thailand were also incredible. I mean, every place was so amazing," I said. "What about you?"

"I've loved them all so far, too. Seychelles was a beautiful place, but especially when I was fucking you in the cabana."

"Oh my gosh," I said, smiling and rolling my eyes. "That was pretty nice."

"It was." He paused. "Wanna do it here?"

Hooking up with Lafayette was dangerous and messy but it was exhilarating. I tried to not think about what would happen when we got back to reality. We would either act like nothing happened, have a terrible falling out, or maybe I would confess my feelings which would result in either a falling out or he would confess his feelings for me as well. There were so many scenarios for me to agonize over. I had to try to ignore them and enjoy the moment.

Vienna was a very pretty city. All I could think about was The Sound of Music. I didn't even know if the musical was shot in Vienna. I just knew it was based in Austria. I couldn't stop singing the soundtrack, much to everyone's annoyance (except Marion's). One of Lafayette's old friends, Daniel Shipley, was in the city. He had spent time a lot of time visiting Europe and especially in Vienna when he was in the military. Vienna was one of his favorite cities he liked to visit often apparently.

At first, I wasn't that worried about Daniel. He was handsome, nice, strong, and quiet, but to me he didn't seem to be Lafayette's type at all. However, as the tour went on, Lafayette gave more of his time to Daniel than to me. I knew it was silly to be jealous and expect Lafayette's undivided attention, but I was still jealous. Lafayette wasn't talking to him flirtatiously, but he was being kind to Daniel, kind in a way that was intimate. My jealousy turned into a little heartache because what if he was falling for someone else? I tried my best to be rational.

I managed to be rational for the remainder of the tour and the next day leading up to the gala. However, as Lafayette and I were getting ready in the hotel room for, I may have let a little jealousy slip out.

"How do you know Daniel again?" I asked.

"He was a friend from the Catholic school I went to," he said, tying his shoes.

"Did you ever date him?"

"I guess you can say that, but we were in middle school. We kissed secretly and jerked off next to each other, but that was it," he said. "Then his parents found out and sent him away to military school."

"It's nice that he is in town," I said.

Lafayette looked at me as I stood in front of the mirror, doing my hair. "Daniel is just a friend of mine, Em," he said.

"I know that," I said. "I'm not suggesting otherwise."

"You sound a little jealous."

I rolled my eyes. "No, I'm not jealous. I mean, I did barely talk to you all day yesterday. We barely talked and then you still had sex with me. I'm not just a sex doll."