Chapter Thirty-One: The Elder Wand

The world had ended, so why had the battle not ceased, the castle fallen silent in horror, and every combatant laid down their arms? Harry's mind was in free fall, spinning out of control, unable to grasp the impossibility, because Nymphadora Tonks could not be dead, the evidence of all his senses must be lying—

And then there was an explosion and the exterior wall collapsed on top of them, and curses flew in at them from the darkness, hitting the wall behind their heads.

'Get down!' Harry shouted, as more curses flew through the night: He and Allison had grabbed Theodore and Tracey and pulled them to the floor. Allison then tried to go to Tonks, so move her body away from any further harm, but Harry had to shout at her to stop.

'Allison, come on, we've got to move!' Harry said while grabbing her arm, holding her back.

She shook her head, she tried to twist herself free.

'Allison!' Harry saw tears running down her spot covered face, as well as Theodore and Tracey's, and Harry knew he was probably crying to, but he knew they couldn't stay there. He tried to pull Allison again but she would not budge. 'There is nothing we can do for her now, Allison! We're going to—'

Tracey screamed, and Harry, turning, did not need to ask why. A monstrous spider the size of a small car was trying to climb through the huge hole in the wall. One of Aragog's descendants had joined the fight.

Tracey and Harry shouted together; their spells collided and the monster was blown backward, its legs jerking horribly, and vanished into the darkness.

'The whole family is here!' Theodore called to the others, and glancing through the hole in the wall Harry could see it was true. More giant spiders were climbing the side of the building, liberated from the Forbidden Forest, into which the Death Eaters must have penetrated. Harry fired Stunning Spells down upon them, knocking the lead monster into its fellows, so that they rolled back down the building and out of sight. Then more curses came soaring over Harry's head, so close he felt the force of them blow his hair.

'Let's move, NOW!'

Pushing Tracey ahead of him with Theodore, Harry stooped to seize Tonks' body under the armpit. Allison, realizing what Harry was trying to do and helped: together, crouching low to avoid the curses flying at them from the grounds, they hauled Tonks out of the way.

'Here,' said Harry, and they placed her in a niche where a suit of armor had stood earlier. He could not bear to look at his cousin a second longer than he had to, and after making sure that the body was well-hidden, he took off after Tracey and Theodore. The corridor was now full of dust and falling masonry, glass long gone from windows, he saw many people running backward and forward, whether friends or foes he could not tell. Rounding the corner, Allison let out a bull-like roar warning:

'DOLOHOV!' and sprinted towards Harry.

'Alli, Harry, over here!' Theodore screamed.

She and Theodore were behind the tapestry, and a second later Harry and Allison's joined them. Allison was practically fuming and she looked as though she was about to explode.

'It was Bellatrix! I'm going to make her pay for all the pain and death she's caused! I'll going to kill all of the Death Eaters!'

'Alli-' Tracey tried, but she choked on her words.

'Allison! You listen to me right now!' shouted Harry.

Her face was contorted, smeared with dust, smoke, and tears, and she was shaking with rage and grief.

He knew how she felt, they all just lost a caring and loyal family member who was always there for them, Harry wanted revenge as well, but they couldn't do so yet. They had to finish the mission so that no one else would get hurt.