Heartbeat

As the trip continued, Rosalind felt herself getting bored and her heels had grown soar from getting in and out of the carriage.

The last stop of the evening was the village of Bambalo, which sat in the middle of Oga. It would take a day to arrive and the idea made Rosalind's stomach drop to her ass.

Rosalind's eyes gouged out of her eye sockets as the carriage pulled up to the dock. The chest tightening feeling in her chest was similar to the day she found out that her parents died.

As Rosalind moved around in her seat, the carriage doors sprung open, making Rosalind jump in her seat. Her heart beat faster and her breath caught in her throat. She didn't want to step foot on that dock, being in the water frightened her.

Atticus exited the carriage first, his hand held out to Rosalind, which she took with trembling hands.

"I-I should stay," Rosalind said after her feet hit the dirt road. So there's order in Oga. You go without me." Rosalind watched a Atticus gave her a weird look.

Atticus looked around at the guards before dismissing the men with a hand. He then focused his attention on Rosalind.

"There's plenty of order, the people will be fine. We'll be gone for just a day and-"

"I'm just not feeling good. I haven't eaten or anything, and I get seasick. I'd only be a hassle, just go without me."

Rosalind removed her hands from Atticus's before turning on her heels. Before Rosalind could enter the carriage, Atticus grabbed onto her elbow.

"When have you ever been worried about being a hassle? What's wrong?"

Rosalind looked at Atticus with watery eyes. Sincere was in his voice when he spoke, and for a split second Rosalind wanted nothing more than to tell him what was on her mind.

"I just don't want to be away from the palace. We could continue out tomorrow...or next week, perhaps?"

Atticus held a bewildered expression before his eyes widened and his face softened. He licked his lips before looking her in her eyes. Rosalind's chest heaved as she held back her tears.

"Oh, yes, of course." Atticus released his hold on Rosalind before turning to the guards.

"We'll board another day, let's head back to the palace," Ordered Atticus.

Rosalind's anxiety slowed down as she heard the words of heading back to the palace.

"I should feel better another day." Atticus nodded as he helped Rosalind back into the carriage.

"Back already?" Ada questioned as Rosalind walked through the doors.

Rosalind walked over to the parlor couch before taking off her heels.

"I'm exhausted. It's best to continue out another day. Fatima, can you bring me my slippers, please?"

Fatima bowed from the side of the room before exiting the room. As Fatima exited, Andrea came waltzing through the door humming to herself.

Andrea ended her waltzing in a spin before turning to Rosalind and asking, "So how did it go? We're people excited? Specifically the children?"

"Most were, the men were furious. I could see the steam coming out of their ears and their faces practically exploded," exaggerated Rosalind.

Andrea let out a laugh as she hopped on the arm of the couch.

"And the children?"

"They showed their teeth, so I'm sure they were more than excited."