Alone in The Palace of Cummings

"Head up, shoulders high. Your posture means everything as a queen. What would it look like to the people if they see you slouching?"

Ada's voice rang in Rosalind's ear as she walked back and forth across the training room.

It was a large room with various arched windows, and ceramic floor tiles covered the ground. Multiple bright lights hung on the ceiling, almost blinding Rosalind.

Rosalind had been walking back and forth for hours, adjusting her posture and walking. As queen of Oga, Rosalind found it unecessary to know how to sit and stand in a formal-like manner, which Rosalind found asinine.

Rosalind's feet were like walking knives; she only wanted to bathe and crawl under her blankets where no one could find her.

"My feet are killing me. Can we take a break for a second?" Rosalind complained as she stared at Ada who held a displeased face.

Ada was a slim, older black woman with a gaze that made people feel she might strike at them if they stared at her too long.

Every time Rosalind saw Ada, a cold chill ran down Rosalind's spine, making Rosalind jump in discomfort.

"Breaks do not exist when you are queen. Fight through the pain and continue walking; you haven't nearly mastered the walk. After you're done, we'll do a portrait for your coronation."

Ada sat in a red cushioned chair that rested next to the door. Ada cleared her throat before crossing her legs over one another, waiting for Rosalind to continue her training.

"Have my parents written back yet? They should have made it to Main by now."

Rosalind continued walking like she was told, placing her hands in front of her.

"You haven't received any letters," Ada responded as she circled her foot in the air.

"They're probably too drunk to write me back," joked Rosalind as she turned around, returning to the other side of the room.

Rosalind missed her parents to death. She felt uneasy now that they weren't around. There was no one to correct her, besides Ada, whenever she acted out, and no one to compliment her beauty 24/7.

"I doubt it; whenever your parents travel, they are prescient when writing. I'm sure the ship hasn't made it yet." Rosalind nodded as she continued walking, her heels clicking on the floor. 

"Your Majesty, may I spare a minute of your time?"

Nelson Miller, one of the guards, had bulldozed through the doors as if searching for a criminal.

"Not now, Sir Miller. Rosalind has much to do-"

Nelson interrupted Ada by saying, "It's about His and Her Majesty."

Rosalind stopped walking after hearing about her parents before sprinting over to Nelson.

"Finally, did they make it to Maine?" Will they make it in time for my coronation?" Rosalind pressed as she stood in front of a pity-looking Nelson.

"I...Queen Marie-Jane and King Atlas have both been reported dead, Your Majesty."

Rosalind's smile dropped as she felt her whole world shatter. Rosalind dug her nails into her palms as her bottom lip quivered.

"What?" Rosalind's voice cracked, and her eyes filled with tears. She looked into Nelson's eyes, hoping for some dark humor, but there was nothing but sympathy.

"A group of anglers found their ship not too far from Oga. They said it looked like a shipwreck. They never made it to Maine, Your Majesty. They said their bodies weren't in the ship and-"