Chapter 10

I paced the room with uncertainty as if one of the tiles would crumble into dust and I would end up stepping on nothing and lose my balance.

'You were just a distraction.' Those words seemed to be hell bent on trying to torment me and push me into an endless swirl of guilt and I was slowly but surely caving in to the dark feelings.

Despite my hatred towards how low it made me feel, something in me told me it was for the best. But even that didn't make sense anymore because the horrid feeling that was slowly consuming me made me feel like I just committed the worst sin ever known to mankind. I could feel bile rise in the back of my throat as those words circle my thoughts and engulfed me. I felt disgusted with myself and I could feel the regret threatening to suffocate me.

I forced myself to shake it off, trying to convince myself that I was strong enough to suppress everything and keep it all under control until I could afford to feel again. I buried it under everything and kept on chanting to myself that I did it to ensure his safety and that I did the right thing.

He could've helped you.

He could die in the process, though.

Least he wouldn't die hating you.

He would still die.

He would gladly die for you.

I almost laughed at that one.

Him?

Willingly die?

For me?

It was the most ridiculous thought that has ever occurred to me. Honestly. No one would die for me. Everyone thought I was a freak. The know-it-all girl. It would be stupid to actually believe a guy like him would throw his life away for me.

I looked back at Drake's pale face.

"What are we gonna do now, bro? I'm on my own now and there's people after me. What do they want from us?" I asked into the silent room and I didn't know what I was expecting but when my question wasn't answered, realization dawned on me that I was now truly alone.

Neither Tia nor Ryder was here to be my support and I had no plans to rope them in. This was my baggage. Something that only I should carry.

I couldn't help but feel like the world was collapsing all around me. Someone was after me and they landed my brother in a coma. Someone who has been protecting me since I was a kid; someone that I thought was stronger than anyone I've ever met; someone that has been there for me every step of the way; and now he's on a hospital bed with chances of never waking up.

Yep, the world was definitely closing in on me. I couldn't be as selfish as to drag my friends into this. It wasn't their fight. It wasn't something I would wish on anyone and I certainly wouldn't be someone who'd drag anyone uninvolved into this mess. What they did to my brother is proof enough that these people are not to be challenged.

Just when I thought it couldn't have gotten worse, my phone vibrated continuously, signaling an incoming call. I prayed that it wasn't the person that wrote the note left in my kitchen but it was much worse than that.

The caller ID flashed across the screen, illuminating a bright 'MOTHER' on my screen and I took a deep breath, to shake off any nerves.

Now she decides to call. Of all moments she could've called, this was it. Great.

I slid my finger across the screen and brought my phone up to my ear. "Lucinda? The hospital called. I hope you and Drake are doing just fine. Don't hurt yourselves." I heard her pause, a voice speaking to her in the background before she came back to the call and said, "I have to go now, sweetie, there's a meeting in less than a minute. Your father says hi. Love you, bye."

I didn't even get to get a simple 'hi' across the line before it went dead.

I sighed, typical mom. I liked to daydream about how nice it would be if our mom would be like any other moms out there. Sharing all this would be easier.

They could actually hold an actual conversation rather than make me carry a one sided one. I sighed. It wasn't like I wasn't used to it anyways.

I thought back to the note and fished it out of my pocket. I stared at it blankly and felt the bitterness in my mouth grow as I traced the words scribbled onto it.

I'm gonna find them and I'm going to make them pay for what they did. They are going to pay for putting my brother into a coma. They are going to pay for making me feel like this.

"They'll never know what hit them." I thought darkly as I stared at the wall opposite of me, clutching my brother's cold hand.