35

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🍒 ꒱ i love you, it's ruining my life
TAYLOR SWIFT + POST MALONE^

LUKE

MY HANDS were clammy as I clutched them together, my chest racing as I stood outside of the maroon door I was barely acquainted with.

Maybe I shouldn't have crept through the window. I knocked, swallowing my nerves before I could cowardly back out.

Ellie opened the door, her dark eyes scanning me with utter disgust as she went to slam the door. I propped my foot up, preventing her from closing it.

She stepped outside, closing the door behind her as she glanced around. "Seriously, Luke? What are you doing here?" She whisper-yelled.

"I just need to make things right." I admitted, exhaling as in a way, I felt like I needed Ellie's forgiveness, too.

"You've done enough already." Ellie narrowed her almond eyes toward me, clicking her tongue. "She came home sobbing! She practically fell to the ground she was so heartbroken."

To imagine Lorelei like that completely shattered me. But, this was no one else's fault but my own. And now, I was dealing with the consequences of my own actions.

"I know, Ellie." I nodded, attempting to take responsibility. "I fucked up. I don't expect her to forgive me, that's not what I'm here for. I just need her to know how sorry I am."

"I'll pass on the message." Ellie tilted her head to the side, a sarcastic smile on her lips. "I don't think she's ready to see you yet. Or, ever again."

I truly did not know if I could take Lorelei hating me, for real this time.

"Ellie, please." I grew desperate.

"Oh, my." Ellie muttered, pinching the bridge of her nose as her patience thinned. "Why are you being so desperate? What, are you leaving or something?"

My jaw ticked as I slowly nodded. "Yeah, actually I am. I got the call for Jersey, I'll be out on the next flight tonight."

Ellie had a flash of emotion, one I couldn't pick apart but could only assume it as; understanding.

"Was she really just a bet, Luke? Was that all you wanted?" Ellie asked, seeming scared of the truth.

I shook my head quickly, not even needing to process the questions being thrown at me. "I love her, Ellie. I really fucking do. If I didn't, I wouldn't be risking being late to the airport."

Ellie scoffed, shaking her own head as she opened the door, holding a finger to her lips. "I didn't let you in, okay? Please, be nice to her."

I squeezed her shoulder in a thanking manner as I crept to her room, cringing anytime the squeaks echoed from my footsteps.

My hand shook as I knocked softly, squeezing the doorknob as my knuckles went white.

"Come in." Her voice was low, a shaky tone to it as I mentally prepared myself to face her.

I opened the door, shutting it behind me. Lorelei sat at her desk, her back facing me.