-Chapter Thirty-Six- Decay

/wither and decay/ end this destiny/ break these earthly chains/ and set the spirit free/

-decay incantation, tangled

When Rapunzel found Y/n and Varian, they'd managed to get down from the roof and waited in the street, leaning against the wall of a building as the sun began to rise on the east horizon.

Y/n let out a sigh as her sister turned the corner, and stepped forwards from the wall.

"Rapunzel, I-" she began, taking a deep breath. "I think an apology is in order. For... for everything."

Y/n braced herself. The thought of giving Rapunzel an apology still made her a bit uneasy, but she deserved this.

"I'm sorry. I just... I was angry, angry that you took everything just by coming home. Well, I mean... you kind of deserved it. A little bit. But it didn't justify everything I did."

Her sister took a step closer, and Y/n met her eyes. "I don't know if I can say that I trust you yet. I certainly can't say I like you. I don't know if we'll ever be able to have the relationship we should have."

"But I'm willing to try."

Rapunzel smiled, and reached forwards, taking Y/n's hands in her own.

"Thank you, for telling me all this. I'm sorry that I didn't see what you were going through. I was so happy to be home and to have all these new adventures that I didn't realize I was hurting... well, hurting anyone along the way."

Y/n smiled gratefully. She yelped as Rapunzel pulled her into a hug. It still felt... uncomfortable, but she didn't pull away. Baby steps.

"I'll wait for you." Rapunzel whispered. "When you're ready."

Her sister pulled away and turned to Varian.

"But I've still got one more promise to keep."

Varian's eyes widened, and he took a hesitant step forward. "Do you... do you mean..."

Rapunzel nodded. "Varian, I think there's a way to get your dad out."

He froze. "R-really?"

Her sister just smiled, and a grin spread across Y/n's face.

Varian could finally have his happy ending.

"Let's get some horses." Rapunzel said with a grin. "We're going to Old Corona."

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

Y/n gently looped a bridle around (H/n)'s face, Rapunzel standing beside Maximus in the stable beside her. Varian was waiting outside.

As Y/n turned to lead (H/n) out, she felt Rapunzel put a hand on her shoulder, and couldn't help but flinch at the action.

Rapunzel noticed the reaction, and concern spread across her face as she quickly pulled her hand back.

"Y/n..." she whispered, "what happened?"

Y/n looked away, remembering everything that had happened with the Saporians. She couldn't even recall how many times a friendly face had threatened her life, how many times she'd had a sword at her throat or an abyss beneath her feet, how many times Andrew would snap from friendly to psychotic at the flip of a coin.

"I don't think I'm ready to talk about that yet."

Rapunzel exhaled. "Yeah, I... I know the feeling."

She took a deep breath. "And I'm sorry. Not just about the promise, but about everything that's happened to you. No one deserves to be forgotten like that. Everyone deserves to be loved."