Chapter 18: Breathe

Rory was especially missing her mom today, it was her mom's heaven birthday, 13 years ago on may 19th her mother had passed. Aurora did not want to talk to anyone, generally on this day she stays alone and refuses to do anything or even talk. But now she had Paige, and she knew Paige would feel terrible if Rory ignored her with no explanation. So Rory sent her a quick text which turned into a conversation Rory was trying to avoid.

Paigey Baby

Wifey Rory

hey baby, today's the day my mom died so I

really don't want to talk, that's why i'm not texting

as much. I love you <3

Paigey Baby

hey my love, that's okay. are you okay?

I love you so much sunshine.

Wifey Rory

I'm the best I can be.

Paigey Baby

do you want someone to talk to?

I can come over.

Wifey Rory

I'll be okay, thank you honey.

Paigey Baby

I love you so so much, don't hesitate to call me

if you need anything <3.

Wifey Rory

I love you baby

talk to you later

And just like that Rory was alone with her thoughts, and she was thinking a lot. The emotions she was trying to hide came flooding out. There she was, alone in her apartment sobbing uncontrollably. You know what they say about grief, it may not hit you as often after a while but when it hits you it hits you just as strong as it did the first time. Rory could not breathe, she was having a panic attack, overthinking about everything she could have done with her mom in these past 13 years, what she could have done to save her, and how stupid she felt crying about this 13 years after her mother's death at almost 21 years of age. She couldn't do anything, she was paralyzed. Paige felt the need to come over about 30 minutes after they texted so she did. She sent Rory a text saying she was coming over, which Rory did not see, and headed out on the 5 minute drive to Rory's apartment. Once she reached the apartment she unlocked the door with her key and walked in. She knocked on Aurora's room's door and waited for a response. She didn't hear a response but she heard the crying and the hiccups so she opened the door slowly and made sure Rory saw her come in so she wouldn't scare her. She hugged the sobbing Rory who could only look up at her from the carpeted floors with swollen eyes. Rory tried to talk and explain how she felt but she could only let out more sobs. Paige was terrified, she'd never seen Aurora like this. Rory was such a calm and collected person usually. But now P had to be the rational one as she calmed down her girlfriend. She guided Rory to breathe.

"Sunshine, can you breathe with me?"

Rory let out a shaky exhale

"Okay, we're gonna go in for 4, hold for 4, and exhale for 8. Ready?"

"In, 2, 3, 4. Hold, 2, 3, 4. Out, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Again."

So they repeated the exercise until Rory could speak.

"Okay baby, tell me three things you see." Paige started again

"I see you... the floor, and my bed" Rory said shakily

"Perfect, what are three things you feel?" Paige said

"The floor, you, and the wall" Rory said quietly

"Yep, okay, what are three things you hear?"

"I hear your voice, the cars outside, and the neighbor's dog" Rory said more firmly

"Okay, what are three things you smell?" Paige continued

"Your perfume, my perfume, and the food I ate for breakfast" Rory spoke

"What are three things you taste?" Paige continued to guide her through the exercise

"My breakfast, my gum, you" Rory said as she kissed Paige

"Your jokes are back, you're cured sunshine" Paige laughed

"Thank you so much, how did you know I needed help?"

"I just knew, I know you"

"I love you so much baby"

"I love you more sunshine"

Author's Note:

I finally updated, so sorry for the wait guys. Thank you so much for reading. I love y'all, have an amazing day. Don't forget to vote and follow if you liked this chapter <3