Chapter 11: Mental Breakdowns

Drake's P.O.V

Parker was my first college basketball team mate. He was a wiry 19 year old with genuine talent, and I was the young one, the towel boy destined for the NBA. I was the third person to ever meet Eliza and her godfather. I was the first person Parker showed the photo of Jemma to. And I was also the first person to get into the SUV on the way to the hospital.

I was driving on adrenalin, Liyah in the passengers seat, her head in between her legs. I hadn't even put on a jacket in the freezing December weather. Parker and Elisa had been admitted to the ICU at a hospital further away, and since Liyah and I were the emergency contacts on their insurance cards, we had been called to the hospital ASAP.

Liyah groaned in her seat. I looked over at her. "You okay?" I asked her.

"Drake, this is all my fault!" she whispered as I took the exit .

I turned to look at her. "What the fuck are you talking about, Liyah?"

"I should have gone to get the mushrooms," she said, turning her head away from mine. "I should be in the hospital right now."

I pulled into the hospital parking lot, finding a spot in the emergency area. I opened the door, walking over the the passenger door.

I opened the door, face to face with Liyah. She sniffled.

I had only ever known one kind of Liyah. She was stubborn, arrogant, and a bad ass. I had never seen this kind of Liyah before, one that was sobbing in my passengers seat. And it was scaring the fuck out of me if I was truthful.

"Liyah, this is not your fault. You weren't the drunk idiot driving that truck. I need you to keep a handle on yourself while we go in, okay?" I whispered, jiggling her elbow.

She didn't reply, choosing instead to wipe her snotty nose on the back of her hand as she made her way out of the SUV.

I've never liked hospitals. That's why I had Liyah to take care of me, she was like a mini walking hospital for me. I had been to a hospital once, way back when my dad was around. I fell while playing basketball and broken my knee cap. It was pretty horrible, and the sterile smell and crawly feeling of the hospital stuck with you like an annoying pet. That was what I was reminded of as I walked through the hospital doors.

Liyah took the lead, making her way to the main desk where wan elderly blond nurse was sitting.

"Hi," Liyah said, her voice still croaking, "We're here for Elisa and Parker Lawson."

The nurse's eyes widened in recognition. "Oh, yes. Are you Aaliyah Greene and Drake Parker?"

We nodded simultaneously, handing her our drivers licenses. She looked them over before pointing to a small waiting room. "The doctor will meet with you in a few minutes." Liyah took our licenses from her as we settled down on the hard plastic chairs in the waiting room.

Suddenly Liyah stood up. "I'm going to head to the bathroom real quickly."

She asked the lady at the front desk and inaudible question before heading left.

I waited awkwardly until she came back, looking normal. The tear streaks were washed away and her hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

She sat next to me, pulling out her phone. "Should I tell Trish to come?"

I thought for a moment. "No. Lets talk to the doctor first."

As if on cue, the doctor opened the door. "Drake and Aaliyah?" he asked, running a hand through his salt and pepper hair.

We stood up, each shaking his hand. "I'm Doctor Mark Gannon. I'm taking care of Parker and Elisa today. Would you step into my office?" he asked, showing us the door.