Bonus Chapter

Ira POV

I dialed Vikram's number again and still it was not connecting as expected. I dialed again and with sheer luck of his he picked up the call otherwise I would have bitten his ear off about not taking his wife's calls on an abroad trip for his doctors beyond borders conference.

His drowsy voice picked up the call and I realized it must be middle of the night for him while it was morning for me. But, what to do, without speaking with him my day seems to be a drag and I seem to be bored, moody and sad.

Vikram: Hi, Chellam 

Me: Sorry, to interrupt your sleep. I missed you.

He chuckled and it was music to my ears

Vikram: I gathered that, what is our Diya doing ?

Me: This is unfair Vikram, me, your gorgeous, sexy wife misses you and you ask about Diya first and not me ?? You know what, go to sleep. I am keeping the phone down.

Vikram: Aww, is my wife jealous ? 

Me: Yes, I am. You are abroad and still manage to video call just to see her. You send messages asking me to send her videos to you but you forget to ask about your wife.

Vikram: Come on Ira, dont be jealous. Okay, how are you ?

Me: You know what go back to sleep. I dont need your affection when I have to beg so much for it.

I ended the call and looked at our Diya who was sitting in front of me, looking at me like I startled her. May be the way I hung up the phone, the quick moments kind of took her by surprise.

Oh no, I scared her

Me: Hi, sweet heart. I am so sorry I scared you. 

I picked her up and put her on my lap. I made her face me and kissed her forehead. I softly carressed her cheek with my fingers and she snuggled in to my bosom resting her face on me, sighing cutely.

Me: Its 10 am and you are already tired ? Why would you not be ? You woke up yourself and your mamma at 6 am today, you are sleepy arnt you ?

She rubbed her tiny fists on her eyes and I understood she would sleep any minute. I picked her up in my arms and sat down on the swinging arm chair hugging her close to me. I quickly switched on an instrumental music of 90's and 20's songs and she slowly started getting sleepy, holding my fabric in her fist, snuggling her face into her body.

Diya, was a sweet little kid who does not trouble us much. She has a predictable schedule mostly and she is very calmer and understanding then other kids I see. If we take away something from her she accesses us with her big brown eyes. 

She listens to what we say, she loves it when we talk to her as if she can understand everything, so we explain, we talk and we reason with her. If she is doing something which might hurt her we tell her no, we explain things to her. She looks at our body language and suprisingly does not throw a fit or a tantrum when things dont go her way.

The only time she gets difficult to handle is when she does not see us both for longer periods of time. We put her in our hospital play school and if we both get back to back shifts which keeps us away from her for a streach of hours she gets weepy and the child care pings us to calm her down. Once she sees one of us, she would be back to being that sweet kid again. So, we make sure either one of us are always there when other one is in shift or busy.

Me: Diya, look naa, your dad is ignoring your mom. He loves you a lot, I get it but he is not even asking about me you know? I am sad 

I pouted and took her close in my arms. She placed her palm underneath my chin and smiled sweetly showing off her two teeth and that made me smile. She understood I am sad.