She's Only Sleeping

Gale

My head is spinning as I walk through the corridors of the hospital, a cop walking alongside me on the right and Mrs. Everdeen on my left.

"Katniss was unconscious when we arrived," the policeman reveals sympathetically, and proceeds to recite what I already know for Mrs. Everdeen, "Primrose was alive," he pauses, "she was crying, but we didn't get her out of the car soon enough for her injuries to be assessed and treated. She passed from blunt force trauma to her chest and head. I'm very sorry."

It feels all too unreal, like it hasn't sunken in yet. I can't have lost Prim, she's family to me.

Mrs. Everdeen's previously stoic composure has dissipated, and she's leaning on me for strength that I don't have to offer. She wipes her eyes and breathes deeply and jaggedly.

"It's alright to cry, ma'am, I can relate to some degree, my niece got in the car with someone intoxicated and didn't make it out alive a few years ago," the officer consoles, taking his hat off and directing his eyes to the floor.

Something's not right about what he said.

"Are you saying Katniss was drunk when this happened?" I inquire pressingly.

He looks up at me quizzically before confirming, "yes, she was," he shakes his head as though disappointed, "very much so."

So when I approach Katniss in the ER, I'm not sure whether to feel angry or sympathetic for she and her bloodied face, broken ribs, and bandaged arms. In a sense, I want to be cross with her, but I can't.

Upon the same sight, Mrs. Everdeen shudders and her face sinks further.

"Am I still a mother, Gale?" she asks, her eyes glassy and voice hoarse.

My own words come out shakily and unconvincing.

"Yes, of course, Katniss is . . . fine.".

Fine might be a stretch, but she's most definitely going to survive is what the doctors say.

"She's just sleeping," one of them clarifies, "it's probably best if only one of you two stays with her while she rests."

I can't bear to take in the sight of Katniss again, so I leave the room wordlessly.

I definitely don't want to return to an empty apartment of hers though, so I sit in a chair in the waiting room and try to get comfortable.

"Excuse me, did you just come out of Katniss Everdeen's room?" asks a boy in a chair two from mine.

I nod.

"Would you happen to know where in the hospital her sister Prim is?" he questions.

"Who are you?"

He's holding a bunch of little blue flowers that appear as if he'd hastily handpicked them just before coming here.

"I'm Matthias," he introduces, and reaches out to shake my hand like he's trying to impress me, "I'm Prim's boyfriend, and if you could tell me where she is, I'd really like to see her."

"She told me about you," I tell him, recalling Prim's ranting about how amazing this guy is. Though it pains me, I smile, "only good things."

How do I break it to him? I don't think I can.

"Sorry, I'm not sure where she is. You should try asking someone at the front desk or something," I lie.

"Thanks."

I don't know what to focus on or what to feel towards Katniss. Prim cannot be gone, she's the life force that holds that family together. I don't want Katniss to wake up without a sister, I know she'll only blame herself.

She's too fragile, the weight of being held accountable for this will kill her, too.

But part of me knows this is all Katniss' fault.