Chapter 84: Heartfelt Gaze

Chapter 84:

Strolling toward Endeavours Agency, I strode ahead, seeking some space, but I sensed someone approaching. Glancing over, I saw the explosion hero catching up, the last person I wanted to talk to right now. Bakugou's regrets were evident, I saw it in his heartfelt apology. His words continued to echo in my mind, the sorrowful expression still haunting me.

I'm so sorry.

His voice cracked as he whispered in my ear.

I'm so fucking sorry.

He reiterated, his hold tightening even more.

I'm sorry for everything, I wish I could take it back, everything I've ever done, everything I've ever said.

I couldn't sleep last night.

I hate myself.

Inhaling deeply, I understood the depth of his regret, felt it even, yet it couldn't erase the events of the previous night. Those words still lingered, leaving me to feel unsettled, especially because, deep down, I knew he was right.

I was weak.

I was pathetic.

How could he ever like a girl like me?

Maybe everything was better when I was in coma.

Bakugou Katsuki, of all people, the one I looked up to, the one I admired, the embodiment of strength and confidence, my favourite hero... My... ....

For him to hold such a low opinion of me, that's what truly hurt the most. It felt like he hated the very things I was insecure about, saying them out loud and using them as reasons not to like me. Despite everything we'd been through, his words still cut deep.

"Hey," the deepness of his voice called out my name, "Y/N..."

I looked at him, sighing. "Yeah?" We kept walking ahead of our friends, who hung back, allowing us some space.

The explosive blonde seemed somewhat uneasy too, different from his usual demeanor. "It's okay if... you're not okay, y'know?" he said, his tone surprisingly gentle, his eyes reflecting an empathic look I rarely witnessed.

"I'm fine," I murmured, pushing aside everything else, unwilling to dwell on thoughts of my father, his killer, or anything else that threatened to come to mind.

I stared at the floor, avoiding his gaze and he gently reached out for my hand.

"I'm not stupid, I know you're not."

...

"It's okay Y/N..."

I glanced up to meet his eyes, then focused on his hand holding mine, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Katsuki... Not right now, please," I whispered, feeling his gentle squeeze in response.

"Okay just..." He hesitated as though searching for the right words, his eyes determined to say something, anything that would help whatever it was he knew I was feeling. It was as though he held a deep longing in his heart to fix the pain he saw whenever he looked at me, "We're here for you."

I stared at him for a couple of seconds.

"All of us..." He said, casting a glance to our friends, his expression growing more sincere "I know everything between us is complicated and... I take full responsibility for that... I'm sorry..."

It felt like he could read my thoughts, knowing that the memory of last night still carried a heavy weight whenever I looked his way.

"I mean it. I really do. I'm not asking for forgiveness, I don't deserve it but..." He broke off, wincing in pain. I felt his hand grip mine a little tighter, his other hand reaching for the wound on his hip. The part of my hero costume that I used to dress it earlier had completely soaked through.