Chapter 11: Fools End

Marching across plains and woods echoed the thunderous footsteps of an army in the thousands, sending a ripple of fear through the hearts of animals that scattered to find refuge. Yet none would come close to the village called Carne. Some opposing force neglected them to travel near, feeling the creatures around the village were the bane of nature itself.

The army was none other than the kingdom's force sent to retrieve the caster called Ainz Ooal Gown. But why were so many men needed for one mage? That was what the leader of this force asked himself as well.

His name was Prince Barbro, the first prince and heir to the throne of the Re-Estize Kingdom. For him, this was nothing more than a small quest to be completed as soon as possible.

On the way, he could seize some glory for himself, as defeating this magic caster seemed necessary, at least from what Gazef spoke about him. A "respectable" man who defended the village of Carne and saved the Warrior Captain's life. Yet, the audacity of sending demands in a letter to the king irked Barbro, an act he deemed unforgivable. He sought to make an example of this rogue mage, asserting his authority as the future king.

"What a joke." Muttered the Prince amidst the clamor around him. Even he was gradually cursed to hear this tone. He was a warrior, the strongest member of the royal family indeed. Yet the simple marching of his soldiers was something he couldn't bear, not even for less than a week.

He looked forward, seeing nothing but an empty landscape, a wild environment he didn't get to witness very often. Nature held little fascination for Barbro. That was his sister's thing. She, accompanied by her knight, would visit the gardens daily. Yet, there was more to it. He just couldn't figure it out and in fact, cared too less to investigate.

His brother, Zanac, possessed intellect surpassing his own, but strength favored Barbro. And that made him believe only he was worthy of receiving the title of king once his father died or abdicated. Until then, he would strive to impress his father and the nobles with his competence in handling rebellious mages. From the report, the mage seemed to have more to himself than a name. Some sort of horsed swordsmen, maybe even mercenaries he hired. But Barbro didn't mind thinking about such peasantries and focused on marching towards the village. 'What sellswords could even rival the kingdom's armies?'

Only then did something odd happen, a phenomenon most would think could never happen naturally. Just as they wanted to pass a plateau on their left, surrounded by the pure darkness of the forest, at the tip of the marching army, the ground seemed to rise slowly, the sound of rocks scratching at each other tearing apart the ears of the soldiers. Barbro could only do the same, protecting his ears from the quite painful sound. Yet his gaze remained forward.

Seemingly what appeared to be rocks rising from the ground turned out to be liquid fire, soaring to the skies until one vast burst of fire rose into the air around the soldiers, leaving only one passageway free, the one towards the free ground on the left side. Some soldiers weren't lucky enough, burning in the hot flames that erupted from the ground, leaving only ash to be carried by the breeze. Panic arose all around the troops. Many already went in sorrow, thinking this would be their death.

"Soldiers! There is a free path to the left! Follow me!" Barbro commanded. He had to show his troops he could lead an army even if he was frightened.

Soon, one after another, they followed his command, walking behind his cohort of horses through the small passage with unresting fire on each side, waiting for one man to make a mistake.

Carefully, they traversed through the way, just to the last man. Somehow they made it, and with low casualties to their luck. But now they found themselves in what seemed a field surrounded by trees, the darkness of the forest grounds hiding whatever hid in those shadows.