Chapter 2: Gastly, Return!

Once Gastly reaches the outside of the Pokémon Tower, it tries to float away from the tower, only to bump into a strange invisible barrier. Gastly tries again, thinking it just imagine this barrier, but it happens again. Confused, Gastly licks the barrier, since that's the only way it can feel physical objects now. The barrier is definitely there and it seems to be some sort of Pokémon move or ability. There is something stopping it from escaping the confines of the tower. Defeated, Gastly returns to the tower and floats back to the Wishcash grave. Gastly sighs and sits atop the grave, thinking. Somewhere in the tower is a Pokémon that has created a barrier to stop all the Ghost Pokémon from getting out, which is why there's so many of them in here. They allow trainers to come and train in here in order to capture some of the Ghost Pokémon and make sure there's not too many crowded in here. Gastly begins to float back and forth, thinking about how it's going to get out of here.

If there is a Pokémon in the tower that created the barrier, then it would make sense that if it was knocked out, the barrier would also disappear. Gastly has decided! It'll look around for this Pokémon and try to escape, as well as let all the other Ghost-types get out and spread across Kanto to find a new, home, their old trainer or even just a sense of freedom. Now, it's only a case of trying to find out what floor this Pokémon is on. Gastly, still floating back and forth tries to decide whether it should go up or down. It asks around, but all the Ghost-types ignore this Gastly. Even other Gastly stay away from this one. The reason why is because Gastly remembers its past life, something that is very rare for Ghost-types.

Gastly decides it should make its way to the bottom of the tower, but it's afraid that if it does so, the other trainers on the lower floors will want to battle it, or even try to catch it, which it really doesn't want. It wants to see its old trainer again from when it was a Whiscash. So Gastly makes up its mind. It's going to risk it all to see him again. It's trainer. Gastly will stop at nothing now that its mind is made up. Gastly phases through the floor and takes a quick look around. The grave is on the 5th floor. There are 10 floors, so it's only 4 floors up and 4 floors down from there. Floating below the ceiling of floor 4, Gastly looks around. It can see a myriad of Pokémon. Gastly, Haunter, Duskull, Litwick and more. It seems like this floor is clear, so Gastly cautiously floats down to the bottom of floor 4, the takes a quick look around to see if it can find any Pokémon hiding that could be creating the barrier. Unfortunately, there is nothing around that seems to fit the bill.

Moving onto floor 3, Gastly drops straight through the floor. Gastly takes a quick look around and notices a few people visiting graves. They don't appear to be trainers who can detect Ghost-type Pokémon, so Gastly sneaks down and takes a quick look around for anything that could have created the barrier. There is nothing here, so Gastly phases through the ground once more to move on to floor 2. Once there, Gastly floats around, looking for any sign of the creator of the barrier, but there's still nothing here. Gastly sighs loudly and starts to droop down in depression. It's then that Gastly is caught off guard by a Water Gun attack. Angry and wet, Gastly shakes off the Water and looks around to find a trainer near the stairs leading down to floor 1.

The trainer has a Wartortle that looks like it means business. "Wartortle, rapid fire Water Gun, go!" The trainer shouts to its Wartortle. Wartortle nods and starts spraying these short blasts of water at Gastly. While trying to remember what moves it can use, Gastly quickly floats around in circles to dodge the attack. It's then that Gastly accidentally uses Double Team. Gastly then runs into its own Double Team and gets spooked by its own image. This is the first time it's actually seen what it looks like as a Gastly. While Gastly is paralysed in fear, the trainer readies their Wartortle for the next attack. "Bite, let's go!" Wartortle launches itself towards Gastly, readying itself for a good chomp. It's in this moment where a surge of Ghost-type energy erupts from Gastly's terrified eyes. The powerful Night Shade attack blasts Wartortle down the the ground. Wartortle cries in agony as it lands directly on its shell, cracking it and the ground it landed on.