Mean

*Evie's P.O.V*

I stare at Cassie with wide eyes, happy that she had taken me but upset that I didn't get to see Mommy anymore now that the door was shut. I could live with that though, seeing as Cassie didn't even try to set me down now that we were in her room. I look around curiously, seeing how dark it is with the curtains drawn over the windows.

"Dark...like cave...bat," I say, the words escaping me before I can really think about what I'm saying.

"What?" Cassie asks, capturing my attention once again I look at her with a grin.

"Cassie a bat!" I declare, making Cassie huff after a moment as she sets me down. I frown at that, reaching out to hold onto her.

"One...not a bat. Far from it actually seeing as I turn into a swarm of bugs. And two, don't call me Cassie," Cassie says, my lower lip sticking out at her words. She was so mean, why couldn't I call her Cassie?

"Cass is acceptable but that is it. Nothing else as a nickname," Cass states so I perk up at the fact that I can still call her a nickname.

"Okay Cass, I call you Cass and not Cassie. Even though Cassie is the better nickname because I came up with it all by myself and had no help at all from anyone," I huff, crossing my arms over my chest. Speaking of arms, I'm currently not in hers and that's a problem. A big problem!

I uncross my arms, reaching out to Cass in hopes that she'll give in and pick me up already. I belonged in her arms, that was where I was supposed to be. I wasn't supposed to be all by my lonesome with no one to hold me. I make my lip quiver even more as I make grabby hands, making Cass sigh as she reaches out and picks me up. I smile happily as I rest on her hip, a grin on my lips that can't be matched by any other time I've smiled. I clap my hands together happily, earning a deep inhale from Cass.

"Why are you so cute?" Cass asks, sounding exasperated with me. I look at her with confusion, wondering what she meant. My nose crinkles up slightly, earning a noise from Cass that confuses me. It sounds like a sigh and a groan mixed together.

"Not cute," I whisper finally, this time a scoff escaped Cass.

"You are so! Mother talks about how cute you are all the time. You're like a little kitten that's with a group of lionesses," Cass says. I jerk back slightly in her arms, looking at her as I furrow my eyebrows and press my lips into a frown to show how offended I am at her words.

"I am not a kitten! Take back your mean words," I order Cass. Cass just rolls her eyes, seeming annoyed with my demands. I pout at that, upset that she wouldn't just do what I said. She should just listen to me, I was the boss right now.

"You are so a kitten. A tiny little kitten with sharp claws that thinks she's all big and scary but her shadow is scarier than her," Cass says, my eyes widening at her mean words. My shadow was not scarier than me! I was so scary, everyone thought so!

I screw up my face in anger, letting tears fall down my face to show my anger. Cass seems to not know how to react to that, setting me down as she looks at me with wide eyes.

"Why are you crying?! You're not supposed to cry," Cass says as she wipes at my face with her sleeves, a frown on her lips.

"I not a kitten," I wail. Cass flinches away from me for a second before coming back, trying to cover my mouth with her hand. I try to shove her hand away, a small whine escaping me as my tears stop falling. My confusion is obvious and Cass tries to use that to keep me from crying again.

"You're not a kitten, okay! You're a little baby lioness, you're so scary," Cass tells me, wiping the rest of my tears off of my face.

"Promise?" I ask after a moment, my voice quiet as I look at her.

"Yes...yes I promise. Just don't cry again," Cass orders me, making me giggle slightly since she seemed so concerned about me crying again.

"I not gonna cry Cass, I promise," I say, taking a deep breath to even out my breathing which had kind of gone a little crazy when I had gotten upset.

"You promise? You swear to me?" Cass asks, double checking. I giggle at that, nodding my head after a moment which makes Cass sigh in relief.

"Good, I was so worried I would have to explain to Mother why you were crying your eyes out and that's not something I ever want to have to explain to her seeing as I don't think she would let me escape with simply saying that you were crying," Cass grumbles.

"Mommy is scary," I shiver slightly, making Cass laugh at my words.

"What happened to you being a little Mommy's girl? Now you're suddenly scared of her?" Cass asks as I cuddle into her. I play with one of her long sleeves, smiling as I play with the fabric of her sleeve. Cass snorts slightly, wrapping an arm tighter around me as she kisses my forehead.

"Mommy scary a lot. Just not scary...when she's not," I shrug, not able to explain why she wasn't scary but knowing that sometimes Mommy was in fact not that scary. It was hard to explain but I think I did a decent enough job of it.

"Yes...that makes so much sense. Mother is scary except for when she is not," Cass says, making me huff as I shove out of her arms.

"You're mean," I throw myself dramatically onto her bed, laying back as I cross my arms over my chest. Cass laughs at me, actually laughs! How dare she? She was so meannnnn!