Bela

*Evie's P.O.V*

I spent the next couple of days just watching everyone in the house. The maids seemed to fear me, shying away from me whenever they spotted me. I decided to remain in the shadows when I watched them, noting down any valuable information in my mind. I found out that the maids seem to fear the Dimitrescu family but they also talked badly about them at the same time. How foolish could one be to talk badly about your employers when they could hear everything?

Watching Daniela was rather easy, she never seemed to notice whether I was in the shadows or out of them. She was in her own little world most of the time, looking for maids to take down to the cellar. I had followed her the one time Lady Dimitrescu permitted her to take a maid down there, watching as she tortured the maid. She had lost herself to the bloodlust, only stopping once the maid was truly dead. Then she looked right at me, a small smile on her lips as blood dripped off her face.

Bela and Cassandra were much harder to observe if I was being honest. Cassandra had a knack for sensing me even in the shadows so I spent most of my time avoiding her and watching Bela. Bela was the calm to her sisters' storms, she was the one that remained level-headed and soothed them when their anger boiled over. I often found her in a bunch of different places, painting on a canvas.

I hadn't got the chance to observe Lady Dimitrescu, she seemed to never be around. I knew she was busy but I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't see the super tall woman. I was in awe of her power, she simply exuded this air of grace and power.

I had settled into the library, curled up behind rows and rows of bookshelves. A book was clutched in my hands, my eyes going over the words but not truly comprehending them. A soft buzzing sound caught my attention and I looked up to see Daniela appear in front of me, a grin covering her blood-soaked face.

"Hello Daniela," I said as I closed the book, setting it down on my lap. She held her hands out and I noticed a finger was resting in her palms. I took the finger curiously, looking at her for an explanation.

"Bela said that you were indisposed. Normally for maids that means they're in the cellar but I know she meant you weren't feeling well so I cut off that maid that called you a freak's pinky finger," Daniela said as she sat down in front of me.

"I...thank you," I said, oddly flattered that she had done that for me. It was sort of sweet in a sadistic, human-eating way.

"The fingers are my favorite part to eat," Daniela whispered as she rested her head on her knees. "Eat it," she encouraged with a small smile. I bit my bottom lip as I considered what she said. I hesitantly brought the finger to my mouth and bit it.

The familiar taste of blood and flesh flooded my mouth. My fangs easily crunched through the bone as I chewed, swallowing. Daniela was looking at me with a hopeful expression, it was sort of cute.

"Her blood is kind of bitter don't you think?" I asked, making her pout slightly. "But yes, the fingers are quite nice to eat," I admitted, earning a small smile from her.

"Good, I am glad someone else realizes how good fingers are to eat," Daniela said with a wicked grin on her lips. "Cassandra always says the hearts are the best but humans only have one heart. They have ten fingers and more is better in this case," she giggled. A strand of her red hair fell from her hoodie and I pushed it back into place on instinct.

"I agree," I said with a small smile as Daniela grabbed my hand, bringing my hand to her face. She practically purred as she leaned into my touch. I had been smiling more now than I had ever smiled before in my life.

"You are so warm," she said as she scooted closer and closed her eyes, resting her head on my chest as she hummed happily. I wrapped my arms around her, feeling her breathing even out as she fell asleep. I sat in silence as I opened my book again, finally able to concentrate on the words on the pages. I don't know how long I sat for before a familiar buzzing sound.

"Hello Bela," I said as I looked up, noticing the blonde who stood in front of me. She was eyeing me and Daniela with a curious look on her face.

"Hello Evie," she said as she sat down in front of me, much like Daniela had. "Can I speak to you?" she asked as she tilted her head.

"You already are," I pointed out as I smiled slightly, earning a soft chuckle from Bela. I tilted my head as I shut the book. I set it down on the floor as I looked down at Daniela who was asleep, her chest rising and falling as she slept.

"I heard you the other day," Bela said hesitantly, her golden eyes staring at me earnestly. My heart thundered in my chest as I realized what day she was referring to. "Why do you say such horrible things about yourself?" she asked softly. I bit my lip as I thought about her question.

"Because they are true," I said after a moment as I ran my hand through Daniela's hair, her hood having fallen off to reveal the red locks of hair. Daniela nuzzled into my hand in her sleep as she smiled softly.

"You are not a freak though, why do you think you are?" Bela asked as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I am though, have you seen me?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow.

"I have, you are very pretty," Bela said as she gently cupped my face with one of her hands. "I don't think you are a freak at all, I think people called you that because they don't understand you," she whispered. I felt a small pang in my chest and realized that the same thing applied to her. No one understood her family or her so they called them monsters down in the Village.

I remained silent as I enjoyed the way she held my face, affection was a new thing for me. Bela scooted closer and sat next to me, gently pulling Daniela into her lap. She looked down at her little sister with such love and affection that I felt an ache of jealousy rush through me.