Filler Chapter - 2

Start from the beginning

Taking a step back to judge his masterpiece, he simply hummed before removing his hands from around my body.

Anxious, I swiftly pulled the mirror from my bag and inspected my reflection. However, my complaints stuck in my throat, and I turned to him in awe.

"How did you make it look so pretty?" I marvelled, touching the whimsical kitten's snout and whiskers on my nose and cheeks and the butterflies and flowers that adorned my eyes, blending seamlessly and at the same time elevating my eyeliner.

"Why would you assume you'd look bad?"

"I know I'm not beautiful, so I was worried I might look uglier..."

"Nonsense!" He scoffed lightly, bobbing his head against mine and peered into the mirror with me.

I froze, a knot of worry tightening in my gut, afraid he might get angry or upset after realizing how ridiculous and hideous I made him look.

"Your art skills certainly need improvement, but not bad."

I turned to him in shock. Did I hear that right? Is he seriously complimenting me right now? I intentionally made him look ugly so as to shield him from other women's prying eyes, but 'not bad' he says? Is he insane or I'm insane?

"Are you really okay with this?" I asked, my voice tinged with uncertainty and guilt.

In response, he simply took my hand, weaving his fingers through mine. "I don't care how I look in others' eyes, I just care about how I look in your eyes."

His words made me blush, and I buried my face in his coat. He thought I was asking for a hug and wrapped his arms around me, holding me close for a long moment.

The childish artwork did its job because the women's gazes on him did lower a substantial amount, but it also made people laugh at us as we passed. However, I was perfectly content and enjoyed the remainder of the day with peace of mind.

We went on all the rides the park had. He did try to dissuade me from the ones he deemed too dangerous or burdensome, but every time he did, I pecked him on the lips, and he would freeze, then sigh, and eventually take me over without any further arguments.

"I shouldn't have said I'd do anything if you kiss me."

I laughed silently as I heard him grumble under his breath.

While I revelled in the thrill of the rides, he found pleasure in simply watching me enjoy. It had been a long time since I went on rides, so I was scared but because he was by my side on every one of them, holding my hand firmly in reassurance, talking about anything to take my mind off the fear, it made me feel at ease, and when I eventually transitioned to the thrill, he would let me be.

Despite a few persistent women who saw through the ugly scribble on his face, drooled over him, attempting every clever trick to get his attention either by bumping into him or acting lost and asking for directions, he evaded them all gracefully and focused on me alone, capturing me in his camera.

"No matter who is looking at me, my eyes are only on you," he had promised, and he is standing by those words.

He even indulged me with adorable park merchandise like those weird animal-eared headbands, dolls, bracelets, water guns, and even won a massive plushie for me – all for the sake of taking my photographs with them.

He truly is precious.

We took breaks in between and by the time we were almost done, it was already evening. Only one last ride was remaining and that was the Ferris wheel. Ethan specifically instructed me to ride it only after dark and I'm a good sister-in-law that listens to her little brother-in-law.