-. must be fate .-

It's been almost a month since she's here, and so far, you know, it kinda blows.

She seems to make friends pretty fast. It's like she's the new shit. Everyone is talking about her, you know, because she's got the thing, you know?! With her stupid wavy hair and her stupid smirk and her stupid grey eyes, which always seem to shine a bit greenish when she's laughing. It's stupid.

You know even Connor likes her.

"Hey, people. I know it's been a while, but we have to keep going with all the stuff you will need in your last exams. For the next subject.."

That's our biology teacher, Mr M. Don't ask me why we're calling him that. I guess it's because he's really nice, you know? He treats everyone the same. With the same amount of understanding and empathy. Mr M's real name is actually Mr Muriel Michael and is very good-looking. You know, many people have a crush on him. Even Connor.

"Isn't he just dreamy. I mean, look at these blue eyes, and that beard drives me crazy." He says as he supports his head with his fist, looking like he's in trance.

I just rolled my eyes.
"Yeah. I know, he's nice."

Connor slowly turns to me and furrows his brows. "Nice. You think he's... nice? He's like a greek god or something."

"So, in order to partner you up, I just put you guys randomly together. Maybe you make new friends, maybe not. Honestly, that's not important. The really important thing is that you learn how to work with people together, even if you might not like them. Be professional. If it so happens that your partner is treating you like, I don't know... like shit, then you tell me, and we solve the problem, all right? All right. Let's get the party started."

I gowled out in frustration. Why can't we just work with our friends? If this work is so important for our grades, then we should work the way we work our best. But no..

"Jazz Adair and Winona Vernice."

Yeah, of course.

I turn to Connor with a desperate look on my face.

"Com'on, you can do this. She's not gonna bite... unless you want her to." He smirks at me.

"Ha ha ha." I roll my eyes and fold my arms together.

"Hey, what's the big deal? What could possibly go wrong?"

"Yeah, I could die."

"Don't be so dramatic. Hey, if you try and it really doesn't work, then I'll ask Mr M if we could switch, ok?"

I slowly nodded. "Ok." I know he's right. I mean, c'mon, I don't have to marry her. It's just a project. Nothing more. I can do this...

"Hey. Must be fate that put us together, huh?" Winona sat down next to me and had her stupid smirk plastered on her face.

I turn back to Connor. "You know what, never mind. We switch."

Connor rolls his eyes and breathes out, but before he can say something, Winona starts to talk.
"You know, I'm not that bad. And besides, we never talked to each other, so the least you can do is being a bit nicer to me."

She said in a quiet but strict tone. Her volume was low, and so was her voice. She had a soothing voice, I have to admit.
"You're right. I'm sorry."
I looked down. Ashamed of my behavior. She is right. I shouldn't have talked this way about her. Especially not, if she's sitting right next to me.

"It's fine. Which part of the woman's body do you want for our project? I mean, I have an idea, but maybe you had something in mind." And like nothing happened, she had this smirk again. Lifting an eyebrow when she made the slightly dirty remark.

I squinted my eyes together. I don't understand. Is she like, bipolar or something?

"The hips." I suddenly spoke out. My mouth seemed to be faster than my brain today. "I mean, the hips of a woman are a bit different than the ones of a man."

I feared that I made an awkward tension now between us. But to my surprise, there wasn't.

"That's cool too. We'll take that. Mr M!"

As she goes to Mr M, I turn my head in Connors direction, but he isn't there. I didn't notice that he took a seat next to another student for the project. I looked behind me and saw him waving at me.
I smiled lightly.

Winona sat back down.
"Maybe we could meet up for the project some time, if you want?" She asks me with a little knit in her for head just before her brows meet. I noticed it before. If she's not smirking or laughing, she looks concentrated. It's like she's doing a whole party in her face. Everything is always moving.

"Yeah, I honestly think it will be necessary. I mean, it's not that much, but with that little time and both of us, hopefully, seeing how important that is for our grade.." I started to digress as I lifted the pages.

"All right. How about Friday? Yours or mine?"

This stupid smirk. I lightly shaked my head. "Yeah, that's fine by me. And you can come with me directly after school if you want." Not noticing how fast it came out of my mouth.

"Someone eager to spend time with me. Yeah, we can do that. See ya on Friday, darling." As the bell rang, she got up and winked at me.

I felt my face heating up a little. I looked after her, staring at the little package of Marlboro in the back of her black boyfriend jeans she mostly wears.

"Are you staring at her ass?"

Connor said behind me, putting his hands on my shoulders. "You startled me! And no, I am not.. staring.. at.. her ass. I was looking at the Marlboro pack she had in her pocket."

"Yeah, right. And? How were the first minutes with your date?" He chuckled.

"She's not my date. Although it was ok, I guess. We'll start working on the project on Friday. She will come home with me."

"Uuuhh. Nice. I hope you've got protection. I can lend you some."

"Would you stop it, please. Let's go out of here."
I surely need the break and some fresh air. But I have to admit I am a little excited about Friday..